Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee vs 4 stroke

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 10:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mar- you need to private message buttfungus, roostinoyou, hurycne and bigger with your speed secrets. They can't run with the raptors. They all have carb mounts, jetted, full exhaust, no rev limiters blah,blah. We are not worried about the "yellow school buses" down here. As far as stock to stock, the raptor won that too. Raptorrrc (stock raptor)showed the ds boys the fast way to the finish line numerous times. We ride/race them all (no cannons yet)and the results are the same. It is not "rider". I usually get the worst start of the bunch and have to pick them off. I am going to start lining up 10 lengths behind so we have a better finish.

I think the raptor is a heck of a machine, sure it has some quirks that need to be fixed (done that) but in stock trim is still the quad to beat!

The shee- I love to ride them, just don't want to own one. I am spoiled to the creature comforts of the raptor. My raptor goes to the strip, down the trail and over to the mx track. How many 65 horse shee's do that? My friend has a fast shee. I am twisting his arm to call Harry at Trinity and go wild! After he does that i might be singing a different tune. A 85 hp shee might have a place in my garage. We just do not see the "fast" quads around my neck of the woods. I wish we did, so my wife would be more understanding. She tells me i can have the fastest quad at MY playground.

Old 04-13-2002, 06:06 PM
Range Rover

I own a shee and my buddy owns a 2001 DSthe only problems he has had with it is upper contol arm bushings and shock bushings. We do alot of gravel pit riding both work really well. I pesonally like the shee because of the stout powerband it is a rush to ride but the DS is a fun bike as well. As far as reliability with the Shee it is almost brand new so I dont know. My buddy owned an 88 shee and only had problems with the stator and control arm bushings.

Old 04-14-2002, 04:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey all! Just reading this thread and thought I'd jump in. First off I have to say the Raptor and DS, although most definatley easier to ride and more advanced, will have much trouble getting with a banshee with pipes let alone a modded one. If the big thumpers have lots of mods and the banshee has any decent set of pipes the banshee will still beat the 4 strokers. I have two highly modified banshees, one on race gas stock chassis and one on methanol with an 8" over swingarm and override tranny, I won't even talk about the drag bike but I have yet to see a Raptor or DS in the ballpark of my "play" bike. This Banshee ran a 5.20 in the 100 yd sand, in Atoka, OK, with Sand Skate 2, stock swingarm and a Trinity 2 into 1 intake (which I always hear "kills top end", yea right, this is one of my favorite mods) on race gas. I am not a light rider at 215 pounds either, I have however benn riding two stroke quads for over ten years and have had banshees for 6 so I would say my riding level is high. I think you guys are racing people who can't ride the banshee to its potential. Just a thought though![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I think the banshee is the funnest quad ever built and will most definatley hold up to some serious abuse.

Old 04-14-2002, 09:38 AM
Trailblazer

2 strokes will always rule the sand because wheel spin keeps your back end on top of the sand. 4 strokes tend to grip and dig into the sand which increases the drag on the tire and slows you down. I own a raptor but if I was going to ride sand exclusively, it is a no brainer, get a shee.

Old 04-14-2002, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

How fast does the shee go anywise?

Old 04-14-2002, 09:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have a shee.
and ever since i got it i have had nothing but problems.
yeah its used but it should hold up to my beating a little better.
i don't know if its the aftermarket parts that gave out or what.
but i have a engine that has about 30 hrs on it and a piston dropped a skirt 2 days ago.
when that thing would run there was nothing that could keep up.
its ported, has trinity 2n1 bills pipes. rejetted and hauls ***.
the guy at the shop said he has ridden banshee before but mine is scary fast.

i had a lt500 about 3 years ago and that thing was awesome, but the sheer power the banshee spits out in the powerband makes your heart pump like crazy.

but if you get a banshee just be patient and becareful.

if anyone wants a rebuildable '97 banshee with mods lmk

Old 04-14-2002, 11:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Toddder, how much do you want for it? If you email me we can talk, my email is alkybanshee@hotmail.com. I think the Banshee holds up pretty well to abuse but you never know what someone before you has put it through.

Old 04-16-2002, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

they both have their advantages and disadvantages. two strokes are a lot more high maintenence than four stroke, but if you want speed go with the two stroke.

Old 04-16-2002, 03:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yea, I am one of those piped banshees that has fallen victim to KingRaptor and his 686 4 Stroke!!! That bad boy runs good.

RoostKing..

Old 04-16-2002, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

SandShack,

Can we assume by your name that you will be duning most of the time?

If so, you can't go wrong with the Banshee. This works great in the dunes, and responds extremely well to mods. Get a Banshee and put a filter, pipe, and paddles. You are ready to rip.

If you ride in the woods, get a Raptor. The 4 stroke lets you lug around the tight spots, and hammer it in the straights without the wheelspin.

Personally, I wouldn't ride a DS. It's too heavy. Thing has very plush suspension, and I was amazed at how it absorbs the rough stuff. But get a big mud hole that you have to go through, and you don't mind lifting out the Banshee, Raptor, 400EX, or 250R. But you will find out who your friends are if you get a DS stuck. It's a 'Dune Sport'. But I would get a Banshee or Raptor first before a DS for the sand. I don't hate it, I just think there are better choices.

RM

Quick Reply: Banshee vs 4 stroke