ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Nitromethane? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/63282-nitromethane.html)

2001raptor2001 04-24-2002 02:09 AM

how many of you have tried this in approximately a 5% ratio(or other for that matter)

what kinds of problems?

what kind of power increase?

any info is welcome

THEMOOSE 04-24-2002 02:14 AM

Can you say BOOOOOOM!!! LMAO

Go with alky. It'll give you more power & your quad will run cooler.

Can you even mix nitro with gas? The big boys at NHRA mix it with alky.

AlkyBurninX 04-24-2002 04:15 PM

Nitromethane is harder to jet than alky. Huge problem with melting a piston. If you are just looking for a power adder, check out Klotz Nitro (it does contain a small amount of nitromethane). I have used this mixed with pump gas, race gas, and alky in both two and four strokes. It seems to be worthless in two-strokes. However, it helps four strokes especially on pump gas. The low to mid range torque was greatly increased. You will have to jet up about 4-6 numbers. The bottle gives mixing and jetting instructions. Any motorcycle shop should be able to get it.

ZRWHAT 04-24-2002 04:40 PM

I would have to agree with AlkyBurninX on the Klotz Nitro. I used it in the Mustangs at the strip pretty much religiously(bought case's of the stuff). I always seemed to pickup a tenth or two in the quarter on the naturally aspirated motors, the supercharger was a whole different story.

You might also check out their newer product COXOC, looks interesting!KLOTZ

garyc660R 04-24-2002 05:01 PM

Klotz Nitro huh.....What do the jetting directions say to do? Jet up?

velocityraptor 04-24-2002 06:18 PM

I would personaly suggest NOS if your going to play with your fuel.

ZRWHAT 04-24-2002 07:32 PM

It is recommended to jet up, but obviously you would have to play with the jetting to get it exactly where you needed it. Without a dyno or at least an A/F guage you won't ever know where you are at. Here is a good article from Klotz, it would be best to give them a call if you were going to run this in your quad. Klotz Newsletter on Nitro and COXOC

badfordman 04-24-2002 11:20 PM

This may sound funny, but Ive been running klotz nitro additive in my snowmobile,ice-augger, and my lawn-boy, yes I said LAWN-BOY!!! for YEARS!!!
Im not kidding, the stuff is awesome, I can mulch just about anything!!!
Every thing Ive used stuff in runs as good as the day I first tried it.
I mix it full strength, and richen the jets.
Now that I think about it I seem to run it in all my 2 strokes, chain-saw,snowblower,weedwipper.
I have not noticed much performance gains in the 4 strokes Ive tried it in.
I REALY LOVE THE STUFF.
RIDE-ON!!!!!!!!!

badfordman 04-24-2002 11:24 PM

Buy the way,
The klotz is NITROPROPANE, the differance is it freezes at a lower temp.(-40 below 0 Farinheight)

raptor720 04-24-2002 11:50 PM

I don't claim to be an expert in this field, but I do keep informed so that I can recognize and test for the fuel additives at races. (If you are running the stuff during open riding -- I don't really care unless you claim that you are not just to make it appear that you are a "better engine builder or racer." This is the anything goes type of racing.)

COXOC, Klotz Nitro, Nitropropane, Nitromethane, Dioxane, alcohol, MEK, acetone and many other additives are used by cheaters on a regular basis. Sure they will provide a boost in performance OR a blown motor if not properly maintained.

If you really need the extra "cheat" power, why don't you just build a bigger engine or add N20, a turbo or blower? The cheat power is very hard on the engine and in most cases a very deadly material. For example, Nitromethane when burned produces large volumes of Nitric Acid. Breath it and you die. Dioxane produces gases that WILL give you tumors on your liver and kidneys. Alcohol when burned in a cold motor produces large amounts of formaldhyde gas. If you think you can get away with cheating, know that there is not a single additive on the market that you can run (in concentrations high enough to increase power) that cannot be discovered in testing the fuel. I would love to see a lifetime ban on anyone caught using the stuff at a sanctioned race.

If you do get into the stuff, Nitromethane does not do anything for you until you reach concentrations of at least 10% at 30%, you run into troubles with your oils separating. If you detonate, your engine is done. People add Nitropropane to Nitromethane to retard the fast flame front (like octane booster). Now, with Nitromethane, you must constantly monitor the air density, temperature, percent of water in the air and many other factors. Jetting can change many times in one afternoon. That is why you will see your "buddy" disappear many times and return during the day. This is not such a problem with N20 and your motor will last many times longer. Now, I have not even mentioned the cost of the fuel additives or the expense of a miscalculation in jetting and the resulting blown engine cost.