Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Recommended Grizz 660 Mod's

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 12:48 PM
MK
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay after two weeks I finally got to do some serious trail riding and hill climbing with my new 02' Grizzly. I spent the day riding around the Bull Gap trail and hill area near Mio, MI this past Sunday. I was pretty pleased with the way the machine performed on some of the single wide trails, open trails and even the hill climb, but... but Now I want more power!!

I never got to really race anyone up the hill and not that this is comparing apples to apples, the Grizzly is kind of in a class of it's own here, but I know the only machines that were better at the hill were the Raptors, Banshees and dirt bikes. I am oly basing this on my gut, but I am certain I would have taken the Warriors and Blasters and such, that were there anyway. I know I have 300cc+ on them and all but those machines are targeted as "race-like" machines and the Grizzly isn't. I'm not bragging, merely reflecting on the suprisingly positive things of the Grizzly vs the "racing" machines.

OK here's my question, I have read lots of posts on a wide variety of things that people are doing to modify their machines to get more out of them, can someone post a list of recommended mods that would improve the Grizzly's power/speed with ballpark cost estimates for each mod? I guess I'd like to know what mods people recommend (or don't recommend) and what the approximate costs are, I'd like to start planning for what mods I can squeeze into the budget. I have an idea of some of the mods, but would like to see an overall list of which mods people are most interested in doing. Thanks for the help, sorry for the long post.

Old 07-15-2002, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

mk,
i know the hill well. when i was stock on my griz i actually excellerated up it and crested it at 36 mph, lol.
the first, and most impotant, is the tires!!! godd mud tires can take you places the stock ones only dream about. i installed 26 in titan 589 mt on itp alunimum billet rims. good looking setup, and you can go into my pics to see before, during, and after pics.
if your machanical at all, snorkle the belt drive!!! i have pics of that too, and it has let me into alot deeper stuff!!!
next, the side panel mod!!! do it, couse when you start modding it, it will heat up more, and the panel mods keep her cooler. it also lets out steam while going through the deep stuff, keeping the steam out of the intake.
highlifter has a kit for the grizzly, called a performance package. the cost shipped is $425.00 it includes a middle pipe, a supertrapp exhaust pipe,( witch is ausome!!!) a k&n filter and overfilter, and a complete jet kit. it also comes with some high tech sparkplug.
i have installed this kit, and it DOES GIVE more power throughout the range. depending on how you use the plates in the exhaust, it can pull wheelies without any effort!
my next purchase will be a highlifter clutch kit. it is dasigned for larget tires, and people have said that if your running larget tires, it is the **** to have!!! the cost shipped is $208.00
if you do these mods, you can go deeper, for around $40.00 in pvc. will stay cooler, for around $2.00 doing the panel mod, get gobs more traction, for up to $650.00 in tires and rims, and have up to 8 more hp in a jet kit, and exhaust!
by the way, where ya from in michigan? i'm from warren. hae you run the mounds yet? great place after a good rain, if your a 4x4!!!

my pictures

Old 07-15-2002, 04:55 PM
MK
Weekend Warrior

I'm originally from Da UP eh! but now live in Grand Blanc and work in Livonia. I haven't been to the Mounds yet, supposed to go with my 2 neighbors (who have Raptors and taunt me constantly) soon though. I'm thinking of heading back to Mio again this weekend, maybe a trip to the Mounds would be better though. 36 at the top huh... I was at about 32mph at the top, I guess that could be due to many factors though, the woops (put in by the DNR recently as wittnessed by a local guy I was BS'ing with) at the bottom are kind of a bummer, they don't really allow you to get a ripping start. Although, besides the big guys (Raptors/Banshees/Bikes) I'd swear the Grizz took them better than the smaller race machines (Warriors/Blaster etc. total lack of representation by Honda/Suzuki on that day, all Yamaha, huh, weird?) Anyway, it sounds like the best thing for me to get into for power/speed mods is a kit like that offered by Highlifter I guess. I haven't done any mods yet, still kind of waiting to break her in a little first, but I at least want to start gathering my "wish list/to do list" so I can start trying to stash a little money away for them. Any continued suggestions would still be appreciated.

Old 07-16-2002, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

I think he nailed them all.

The only other thing that i would do, is bypass the reverse limiter! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Cost: 5-8 bucks.

Need a toggle (DPDT if you are going to bypass both reverse and the dif lock), some wire, wire shrink wrap. Pretty simple to do and you can find instructions almost everywhere on here.

Jonathan