ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   HP or Reliability??? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/71503-hp-reliability.html)

RaptorRyan 08-02-2002 07:09 PM

How far can you take these Raptor motors (HP wise) before comprimising reliabilty?

spacollie 08-02-2002 07:21 PM

When you turn the key and push the start button and nothing happens, you,ve gone to far. If you maintain your quad on a regular bases it should out last you. When you start boring and fooling around with stroke and compression, etc it can reduce reliability if it is not done correctly. Alot of backyard mechanics who think they know what they are doing don,t always know. It does take some trial and error. Error sucks. If you do take your engine and or advice from a professional tuner and /or some of guys on this forum combined with a little maintainence it should last pretty long. You can only take a certain size engine so far before you need to go bigger.

Pauleo21 08-02-2002 07:48 PM

Well i think STOCK means reliability. When you don't push the engine as hard then it'll last longer. Also it is a matter of if you keep it in good condition. That is something that definetly helps for your quad to last.

spacollie 08-02-2002 07:57 PM

STOCK! You mean like wallstreet?

ccgrady 08-04-2002 08:19 PM

I have a pretty close to stock raptor and almost all my friends have modified to extremely modified machines. We alway go ridding and it never fails one of them is breaking down or their machines won't run. The biggest problem is jetting. It seems the more mods you do the more senitive the machine. My friends machines are also having problem because depending on where we ride their could be a difference of 4000 feet which results in running to rich or lean. A stock machine still suffers due to the change but its not near as senitive. I personnel beleive a stock machine is more reliable.

Raptor74LV 08-04-2002 08:59 PM

My bro-in-law has been through a tranny with a black/white Rap, my blue baby is still together. Must be Blue is best!!!! What do ya think?

Raptoryfn660r 08-04-2002 09:53 PM

I keep everything stock. I need reliability.

When we ride we go miles and miles away from anything so break-in down is not in the equation.

Raptor74LV,
I still have my original 01 Raptor gears too.

Chet

HiSpeed 08-04-2002 11:30 PM

I aint got a Raptor, but I modded my quad a decent amount and it cranks the first second I push the button. Just dont run a compression over 11:1 or get the average Joe to do your work on your engine. Clean ur air filter and change ur oil and you should be OK.

RaptorRyan 08-05-2002 01:35 PM

Raptor74LV could it be that your bike is not as fast as your brother-in-laws??? Thus the longer lasting trannie..J/K [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

vraptor 08-05-2002 06:23 PM

while my heavily modded raptor still has not died on me (still got that 01 tranny going), I sure spend a lot more time on maintenance than when that puppy was stock, always tweaking something tightening something else, worn chains and sprockets, and the harder riding is always loosening something, 686 motor is rock solid though