Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

first thing I do when I bring my new atv home...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 07:28 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any things I need or should do to my new yamaha big bear before I bring it to the trails to start breaking it in??

Old 08-14-2002, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer

helmet!

Old 08-14-2002, 09:09 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Just for the heck of it, check the oil level in the engine.

I will add two items after bass.

goggles + gloves

Chet

Old 08-14-2002, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

Bring a toothbrush....you will need to clean your teeth from smiling the "WHOLE" time that you are riding and eating dust!

Jonathan

Old 08-15-2002, 12:19 AM
RIP Dear Friend

If you don't have googles be sure and bring some Visine for clear eyes.

Chet

Old 08-15-2002, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

i second airraptors advice...i would also add that you make sure you break it in properly before getting aggresive with it.

pull every electrical connection apart and pack/coat with di-electric grease. this will keep the water out and prevent corrosion...which if unchecked can deteriorate amazingly fast in the proper conditions...ie; water crossings, mudding. cost:$2 and 30min of your time

i would also consider adding Slime to the tires...it works...it's saved me several times...Maine has just as much Granite/rocks as NH...if you ride alone...do it. cost: $60 but the first time you hear that destinctive POP!...and witness the Lime green slime suirt out to save you...you'll add it to every vehicle you drive. Fix-a-flat can corrode your rims...stick with slime.

congratulations...start saving for the hand grips that warm up so you can have fun all year long

Old 08-15-2002, 04:46 PM
Trailblazer

What is this slim stuff? I just had to get my sidewall plugged because of a pin hole. I ride in the rocks a lot.

Scott

Old 08-15-2002, 05:30 PM
Trailblazer

SmokeyDP81- Slime is a green slimy tire sealant that you put in your tire to seal holes but i dont know if it works for sidewall punctures or not. I haven't used it but I am probably going to.

Old 08-15-2002, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

son, you don't know anything when it comes to rocks...come ride in NH, "the Granite State". LOL

anyways slime is a product you pump into your tires. it's a sealant with chunks of small rubber in it. the shop where i purchased my quad had a demo tire slimed...the guy asked me to take a tire pressure reading....while i was transfixed on taking the reading...he takes out a hunting knife and stabs the tire 5 times...i almost mucked my shorts. evrytime he pulled the blade out it pissed a lime green fluid instantly sealing on exit of the blade...he asked me to re take the reading and the tire lost less than 1 psi.

this stuff has saved me many times...i now run it in my tires for my...boat trailor, landscaping trailor, SUV and an old nissan P/U. i haven't had a flat in years...i recently destroyed a rim i'm sure the bead was close to breaking but the rim was covered in slime...got me all the way home 5 miles over rocks and trees.

they should pay me for this post. it's all true.

Old 08-15-2002, 07:15 PM
Range Rover

Slime is a definite thing to buy. I just bought new tires and my quad is about 2 months old. My one tire had slime in and 3 plugs because some a$$hole put a spikestrip buried in the ground and 8" spikes sticking 2" above ground real nice, had to ride it home put slime in it and plugs held pretty good but my stock tires were junk anyway. The guy @ the tire shop was pi$$ed about that tire because it was all over the inside, exactly what it was supposed to do, highly recomend it.

Quick Reply: first thing I do when I bring my new atv home...