Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Loud Exhaust - Got Busted!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 04:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got busted with my DMC today. Don't know what the fine will be, but was told that if I get another citation, they will impound my quad! Got measured at 103 db, just what DMC told me it ran at. Law in California is a max of 101 db. So, which pipe now? I'm getting a Trinity 686 in the future. Trinity's pipe is too loud, CT's is too loud. Do I go with the Sparks X6, Yoshi? Who runs a pipe that comes in under 101 db on a 686? Also, on a stock 660, what pipe is going to give me the same gains as my DMC? Man, I really love my pipe! This really sucks....but, it's got to go. Can't have my quad taken from me...They'd have to shoot me right on the spot. Anyway, I don't want a white brothers pipe. I'm not sure how loud the X6 is...So, I guess my choices are Yoshi, X6 (maybe), LRD...any other suggestions? I know the pipe questions have been run into the ground on this forum. Does it really matter which pipe I get? Are they all pretty much the same as long as I get my jetting spot on? Which ones will still flow enough air for the 686 (727 possibly)?

Thanks for anyones help in advance...

Old 08-17-2002, 08:51 AM
Pro Rider

jeeeeez, i wonder why people want to ban atvs. because people like you put all these loud exhausts on. if you are going to get one get a really quiet one. save us all and just go back to stock. ITS A FOUR WHEELER

Old 08-17-2002, 09:01 AM
Pro Rider

Is'nt the LRD,Gradon, and the CT all the same pipe??? All made by Power Pro's I belive. Probably won't save much sound with any of thoose. Maybe the Yosi??

Old 08-17-2002, 09:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Thats really a bummer. If you have several hours on your Alien, try re-packing it....Silent Sport is supposed too be the best. Pack the stuff in liberally.
Packardbell15......guess what? Some people use their atv for more things than plowing and hunting. It should be no surprise that a "sport" quad rider would install a better exhaust system.....looking for better performance. Just like yourself buying a plow for your ride or maybe a huge set of tires so you can have more fun wallowing in the mud. Better performance in the environment you ride / use your atv. ALthough I do agree.....we need quieter performance exhausts (but still high flow). PEACE!

Old 08-17-2002, 11:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info on db limits.Sorry you found out the hard way.I looked all over CA. OHV web sites and never seen anything about db limits.The DW shootout said the yoshi was 101 db I think,and you can make them even quieter with the TEC option.Thats the pipe I'm going to get.

Old 08-17-2002, 11:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BlueRulez have you ever ridin at foresthill.I rode there on bikes once.Nice place.But most of the trails were narrow. Can you ride quads there?

Old 08-17-2002, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

I have a Big Gun. Right now I'm just running the Race Series, but, just in case I get a ticket, I bought the Quiet Core insert. It's supposed to bring it down to 93-94db. My BG has been absolutely awesome. Tons of power and it sounds great. Also, why do cops target off-road vehicles more than on-road ones like Harleys? The averagae Hog is twice as loud as my Raptor! Maybe they don't target the street ones because they pay more in taxes.

Trending Topics

Old 08-17-2002, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

I am running the Yoshimura full pipe and I am very happy with it. I have taken it to Silver Lake a few times and had no trouble at all. It also has a spark arrestor built in...........another plus. At the Dunes they also have a db regulations, they have never saw fit to test me and I haven't hid from the DNR while I was out there.

Now when I went to the 686 engine it got a little louder, more of a deep throaty sound. Still no problems with the DNR.

I would without hesitation recomend the Yosh pipe.

GregV

Old 08-17-2002, 01:27 PM
Range Rover

Why does the DNR hate ATV's and there noise so much? I've never heard of someone on a Harley get hassled or ticketed before and there 3 times as loud WTF.

Old 08-17-2002, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

RaptorRyan - I'm not sure if they are made by the same company or not. I've seen a lot of posts that the LRD is only about 95 db. I hear the Graydon is very loud, louder than the DMC. I'm strongly considering the Yoshi pipe.

garyc660r - Well put, thanks. I wish there where better, quieter pipes available. It seems most any of the performance pipes get pretty loud. I could try repacking the DMC, cause I love my pipe, but the chance of it not silencing it enough is scary. I think I need to just get something quieter. But thanks for the information.

sixsixt - I couldn't find the information anywhere either. I went into the ranger stations, and asked them. They verified with one of the enforcement officers that california is 101 db. I've ridden forest hill a lot. Very tight trails, and they can get nasty. But, if you can fly on those trails, no one can catch you if you get out on some nice groomed trails. If you end up there again, PM me, and I'll show you the trails. There's half a dozen other nice places to go in the area, as well.

airraptor - Do you have a web site for cascade innovations? I will check them out. Do you have any experiece with their pipes?

Bartman - you're right there. Most the Harley's go by, and you can't even hear yourself think, even with the windows rolled up. I thought I would be ok. The DMC is 103 db, but only wide open. I never opened it up in the staging areas, or through camps. I always keep it in first and slowly idle away so that I don't get noticed, or bug anyone. Oh well, the laws the law. I broke it, I knew my pipe was too loud for california. Time to pay the piper (lol)

GregV - I am probably going to get the yoshi pipe. I will be legal, and won't stress everytime I see anyone from an enforcement agency.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Quick Reply: Loud Exhaust - Got Busted!