ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Which Sand Tires for Raptor ???? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/74444-sand-tires-raptor.html)

burnproof 09-05-2002 01:24 PM

Just wanted some opinions on Sand Tires for my Raptor.

I ride mostly at the Silver Lake Dunes, and do some drag racing, hill climbing and love to kick the back end out in the sand. Which tires would be best for this type of application. I've been looking at the Kenda Geckos.

Any opinions would be appreciated

THEMOOSE 09-05-2002 01:31 PM

For everything except Kicking the backend out I highly recomend the Skat Tral Extreme Haulers in 8 paddle 22 x 11 x 10.

They hook up great & turning is not a problem with the Skat Trak mohawks on front.

V paddles are gonna spin too much for a big bore like a Raptor. IMO

WyoDuner 09-05-2002 01:55 PM

I have seen enough Geckos in action this summer to know that I would never put a set on my machine. Silver Lake is pretty flat so I realize that you don't need something to climb monster hills but still, not Geckos. Geckos seem more suited to smaller displacement machines.

eRAPTOID 09-05-2002 03:53 PM

ALright MOOSE - I'm going to disagree with you on the "V" paddles a little. If you go with an 8 paddle, it may have too much spin ~ BUT ~ if you go with the Skat Trak Edges in the 10 paddle (like I have), you will be wanting more tire spin. With the 10 paddles they hook up extremely well, almost too well for a stock motor with stock gearing. I raced a modified Banshee with them and he was running 9 paddle Haulers, and we were back and forth on who would take the race! They hook up very very well for a "V" paddle in straight line tracation!!!

I like them alot due to being able to slide the rear end when you like. If you want an all around good sand tire with good managability and traction, I recommend the Edges!!

THEMOOSE 09-05-2002 04:02 PM

I forgot about your 10 paddles eraptiod.

You are right they do slide well........

I remember turning a corner at sahara & you were facing me after you spun out!!! LMAO!!

There's nothing wrong with v paddles but you can't beat the hook of the Extremes!!

BlueLeader 09-05-2002 04:26 PM

I like the Sand Skate II's for my kind of riding. I do 75% dune riding 25% drag racing. SSII's have a deeper paddle than most V's so they hook up well and I can still turn, slide, and roost!!!!

RaptorRyan 09-05-2002 04:28 PM

Gotta go with the Extremes!!! They hook up great, and lightweight to boot!!

ryenol 09-05-2002 05:05 PM

I agree with most, the haulers are the ticket, however they may not slide very well at all. I have an 01' with pipe and alcohol, and ran a friends 10 paddle haulers. can't even compare to the geckos at all, with the geckos it spins all day, with the haulers you have to short shift 1st and 2nd to keep the front end down. Have not tried the v paddles so I don't know about those. Good luck...............

burnproof 09-06-2002 10:04 AM

Thanks for all the replys. Looks like Skat Trak edge may be the best tire for my type of riding. The Haulers sound great but I dont want to lose my abilty to slide in the corners.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Maxxis Roosters?

KJMAXXX 09-06-2002 11:03 AM

ryenol, Im curiouse about the alcohol. How much power gain did you get and what did you have to do to switch over? Any pros and cons about it would be apreciated

Burnproof, were goin to be at Silver Lake the weekend of the 20th. See if you can make it up. Check out the Mi. forum in my sig