Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I need some help please with my Raptor Shocks and Rear Damping Force

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 07:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never adjusted the settings for the Front Shocks or the Rear Damping Force and wanted to know which way to go with the rear settings to make it more smoother. It seems way to hard when I go over small whoops. I just think I need to turn the damping force screw and the Compression Damping screw but I dont know which way to turn it to get the ride I want. I know that I will have to turn it back and forth until I get the ride I want but which way should I go about it. I dont have any experience with this at all. Please help.

Thanks

Old 09-26-2002, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

Look in your owners manual if you have one.......one thing is for sure if you want softer feel you shgould decrease compression i dunno which way though!

Old 09-26-2002, 09:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

ok, so you think I should to the Compression one above my shock absorber or the Rebound one at the bottom of the shock? If I read it right its the top but I just want to be sure I am not going to screw anything up. I will mark the setting before I go ahead and do this.

Thanks Peltrax

Old 09-26-2002, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

RaptorOwner,
I ride a lot in the mojave/AV, Gorman areas (lot's of whoops). What I did for my body size/weight fat bastardwas up the front shock pre load one notch. Preload is the only adjustment for the front shock, if I'm not mistaken it is counterclockwise check your owners manual. For the back all I did was slow my rebound down a click or two screw on the bottom of rear shock. Screw on the resivoir is for compression.
If I am wrong, somebody please correct me..........I don't want to be the fountain of misinformation

Old 09-26-2002, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

There are some more things we need to know like is it too hard over the first couple of whoops? If so back off the compression (on the resivoir) a click at a time till it's the way you like it.

If it is ok on the first of the whoops & gets harder as you hit more whoops then your rear shock is packing & you need to back off the rebound a click at a time till it's where you like it.

Once you get it where you want it for the whoops it may not work as well in other places. You have to find a compromise.

The Oct. Dirt Wheels has a good artical on suspension tuning, check it out.

Old 09-27-2002, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RaptorOwner,
Aside from your preload adjustment on your suspension, your rear shock has two adjustments. One is the compression adjustment whic is located on the reservoir. Turning the adjuster counter clock wise will decrease the compression. I'd turn this **** while listening carefully to see how many clicks you presently have dialed in. You can then add more clicks as you feel necessary to get the desired compression.
The other adjustment is the rebound which controls the speed of recovery from compression in jumping or other compressing of the shock. Do the same exercise as before to decrease the rebound and then add the needed amount for your style .There are about 20 clicks of adjustment on each, more or less. The number varies with every shock even tho they are OEMs.

Old 09-27-2002, 12:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks YoshRaptor ,THEMOOSE,hot_shoe_cv yes it does pack as you say. The first one or two seem ok then I start a bouncing all over and man at sometimes I feel like I am going to bounce on the guy next to me. I just want a nice smooth ride, well I know there is no comparison, but I sure like the smooth ride my z400 has and when I go back on my Raptor I was rocking and a rolling but still love the power. I know there has to be a way to soften up the ride abit but I dont want to bottom out when I jump either but heck I dont jump higher than 5 ft anyways. I will check out DirtWheels and see if they have any more hints but I think I may have the solution between all of you.

Thanks again hot_shoe_cv