Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor: Direct shifter / lowered foot pegs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor: Direct shifter / lowered foot pegs.

I don't have a picture, but I can tell you that they all fit fine. It clamps right onto the shift shaft and then (looking down from a seated position) it goes forward and out to the left (away from the engine case). It is really hard to visualize with all that linkage crap in the way, but if you take it off it is east to see where the new shifter will fit.

There are 3 companies that I know of that are making the direct attach shift lever for the Raptor. The Pro-Design is all metal, silver color. The IMS/Roll lever is silver with a black rubber roller on the end like the stock one. These both retail for ~$100. The one I bought was from e-bay and is made by an independent company. It is black painted steel with a rubber roller on the end. It is not as flashy as the others, but it only cost me about $30.

Go to ebaymotors.com - Under Parts and Accessories search for "Raptor" under categories "Motorcycles", "Other Vehicles", and "Other"

It should be in there somewhere.

Old 01-17-2003, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor: Direct shifter / lowered foot pegs.

Originally posted by: 660bigdaddy
had the pro design direct shifter on my raptor for 5 minutes and sent it back. imo it definitely is a more solid feel when shifting, but the distance betwen gears is about twice the amount.
That is a problem in the design of the Raptor transmission. That is why Yam uses the linkage. It is a lever. In return for more foot effort, you get more rotation of the shift shaft. Take away this lever (linkage) and you have to move your foot a little more, but in return you get a much more direct and lighter shift feel.

This is all just IMO. I am not a mechanical engineer or anything. To me it just feels better and it is easier to find neutral (sometimes too easy).

RR1