Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Calling all Wolverine owners!!!

Old 01-20-2003, 02:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all Wolverine owners!!!

Wanting to hear comments from all Wolverine owners on what they use their Wolverine for and what they like best about it. I have never had a chance to ride one or even talk to a owner and I think this may just be the ATV for me.

Appreciate all comments good or bad.

Old 01-20-2003, 03:29 AM
RIP Dear Friend

Forum member: jcsact

owner of 1999 Yamaha Wolverine

I would personal message him.

jcsact photo page

Old 01-20-2003, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

QMaze,
The Wolverine is a great bike but you might want to tell me more of what you would be using it for.

Trail riding it is fun you can throw it around and go quite a few places a 2-wheel drive can't.

If you are wanting a mudder get something else there is not enough motor to pull bigger tires.

You can get the Wolv to slide threw a corner but you have to finesse it a little.

Keep an eye on your rear differential bearings and front wheel bearing if you do a bunch of water riding. The fine silt/sand in the water will eat bearings up. I change my bearings about once a year in the rear end and but this last set has lasted me about 1-1/2 years so far with little wear shown.

I am selling mine just because I want something different and the wife said I have to get rid of it to buy something else. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] But at least she said I could get something else. Look at me web page below and if you have any more questions don't hesitate to write back.

I know there will be some guys that don't agree with me on the mudding thing but if you are want to go threw deep gooey mud get something with more motor.

I hope this helps.
jcsact

Old 01-22-2003, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

I would agree with the above statement. Even about the mud. Our Wolvy does run out of power sometimes, but if you put a pipe on it it opens it up a whole lot. then you dont have that gooy mud problem.

On our Wolvy, I have done everything with it. From Deep mud runs, to jumping, to flying thorugh the tight trails. It is an all round good quad i would say, not to heavy not to light.

Since ours is a '95, we have had to fight with the carb some to get it running right, other than that we have had no problems with the good ol' wolvy.

Old 01-22-2003, 01:13 AM
Trailblazer

I don't have a lot to compare it to, since I'm more into dirtbikes, but my wife has an 02 wolv, and it is a very impressive machine. I consider myself pretty aggressive and that thing will go places I don't want to.

Ya, the motor could use some more horsepower, but with light mods it will be fine, and with a super low first gear, in anything other than deep mud, I can't imagine where power would stop you from moving forward.

A lot of guys are into the unlocker/locker combo, but I had that thing with a front tire off the ground in some severe off-camber up hill stuff, and that tire never even thought about spinning out synch with the one on the ground. The diff is pretty tight. And if the wife doesn't complain about the steering, and doesn't need to do doughnuts, then I'll save my money for other mods (like a skidplate..ouch!)

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-22-2003, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought mine new in 95, except for the forementioned carb problems (95 only) I have loved it. I ride it like a sport quad, have no problems sliding corners,jump fairly high (for a 4 wd ) gone through fender deep water/mud,only been hung up once. The turning radius could be a little tighter, but with the easy reverse, I can turn around anywhere. Now with a few minor motor mods and bigger tires, it really climbs and runs the rough stuff even better, and I don't see me getting another quad any time soon.

Old 01-22-2003, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer

I also have a 95 Wolv and love it. (Will love it even more when Warn releases an un-locker)
What type of carb problems did you have with your 95's. Mine "sneezes" alot when cold and using light throttle. If this was your problem, what was the fix?

Old 01-22-2003, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main problem with the 95 was the pumper carb it used. The main complaint was a big flat spot off the bottom,Yamaha put out a jet kit retrofit that helped, but it still needed a lot of twiddling with the accelerator pump to get the stumble out of the bottom end. The big flat slide let a lot of air flow, and it tended to lean out the mix if you punched it from a dead stop. 96 on up used a cv carb to control the slide action to make it respond a lot cleaner, but you did lose a little of the snap you get with a pumper type flat slide carb. I've tried a lot of adjustments over the years, gotten the response a lot better, but it still seems like the carb is holding back some of the performance. I'm seriously thinking of the Edelbrock Quicksilver carb for the Warrior to see if that will fix the fuel problems once and for all. If anyone out there has put the Quicksilver on a Warriror/Wolverine, let me know how it worked for you. I've heard lots of good things for that carb on the 400ex, supposed to give a 3-5 hp increase with just the carb installation, would be worth it if I got similar results on the Wolverine.

Old 01-23-2003, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

I like the rest of you guys have a 95 wolverine and I like it because I can ride it at warp speed and go anywhere I want without worrying about getting stuck. On mine though I was lucky enough to get the later 95 model equipped with the BST34mm Mikuni instead of the 36mm so I really have to flat spot to worry about. Although the 34mm carburetor I have on mine looks physically different than the 34mm carbs on the newer models. Its stock and the main jet before I put the jet kit in it was #135 with a #40 pilot jet. When my fuel lines are cleaned out I can make it do a wheelie without popping the clutch, just by punching it wide open and leaning back. It will outrun most stock 4x4s in a straight line and beat almost all of them through the woods with a good rider aboard. Another reason the Wolverine is good is because you can boost the power easliy enough because it has a good aftermarket. If you need 4x4 want a light bike that has the potential to be hopped up and like to go fast then the Wolverine is really your only option in that case. Scramblers weight alot along with the majority of 4x4s and Ranchers and the other lighter Hondas CANT be boosted to outrun 400EXs or go close to as fast as the Wolverine can.