ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   New Yamaha 660CC High performance quad SPECS! (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/9471-new-yamaha-660cc-high-performance-quad-specs.html)

86atc250r 05-01-2000 12:27 AM

Dry sump: I think one can rest assured that it will be dry sump. Practically every performance oriented 4 stroke made today is dry sump. The tank may be hidden, or they may be holding the oil in the frame as is the rule in the dirtbike realm.

Good eye on the hydro clutch, although this won't prove anything as one can easily be retrofitted to any engine, it would tend to make a person lean toward a large displacement engine with stiff clutch springs: score 1 for the 660 engine.

Cooling fins, the 660 has'em: score 2

During my search for single cylinder 4 strokes, I haven't found any other suitable Yamaha models in recent production for foreign markets.

I will be very interested to see how much of my info is correct when Yamaha officially announces their intentions.

Now, I will give you a clue on the Blaster engine. I had an '81 DT175 enduro bike that's engine is strikingly similar to the Blaster. I believe this engine dates somewhere back into the '70s. I will see if I can find any specs...

86Qracer 05-01-2000 01:10 AM

Although it really isn't related to this post:

Exactly what engine family DID donate the Blaster it's motor? I am just curious (always assumed it was the IT family.
And thanks to all who take the time to compile all this stuff-although we don't know anything for certain as far as the engine, at least Yamaha is giving us something to talk about..
Greg Coats
Petal, MS
'87 LT250R
'00 Rancher ES 2X4

EdSmith 05-01-2000 06:02 PM

I'm not sure about the Blaster motor. I've done a TON of reasearch, but it hasn't got me too far. The IT and DT 175s and 200's have a very similar design, but the chain was on the right side of the motor, not like on the Blaster. The tranny and cases are different. The top end is very similar, but it is slightly different. I'm not sure.

Back to the new Yamaha.

86ATC250R, I mostly agree with you. Dry sump is fairly common, and it's likely the new quad will have a dry sump motor. The hydro clutch does make me belive it's a large motor.

About the cooling fins, you'll notice all the spy shots of the Yamaha are of the left side of the bike. Suspicious, but that's not the point. In those photos, fin's are clearly visable.

Go here: http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/Yamah...0_still_02.jpg

You don't see any cooling fins on that 660. You can't see the cylinder head, but there are no visible fins anywhere. And that's the best shot of the motor's right side I could find.

The pic on your site shows fins on the motor's righ side, not the left. I'd like a better pic of the left side, but I couldn't find one.

Let me propose a crazy theory. Say Yamaha uses the XT600 motor. Large displacement, could use a hydro clutch, and has fins. Fits all the clues. To keep temps down Yamaha slaps on a huge oil cooler. Probably not, but it's an interesting possibility. There is an electric start version too.

I looked around, and those are the only two motors that are still produced that could fit the bill. I'm not too farmiliar with older Yamaha motors, but I didn't see anything else that was a likely possibility. Most large displacement Yamaha motors are either multi-cylinder or air cooled.

I guess if I had to bet I'd say the 660 is th4e most likely powerplant.

daniel6543 05-01-2000 08:00 PM

This atv looks pretty good,but dont forget about the new Cannondale 440!At least we know that is coming out

AlaskaTRX 05-01-2000 10:58 PM

The machine is DEFINATELY liquid-cooled. It does have a radiator overflow. The hood also has huge gaps and a screen on it, which points to the radiator hiding underneath ('ala Quadracer).

What a speculate, that might be far from a fact, though, is this. This machine could be the NEXT Warrior. I see a machine with very good-looking front geometry. The frame is very skinny, which leads to the impression with long A-arms that it may be larger than it really is. I doubt that this machine is nearly as big as the DS650. Just looking at the relative size of the front tires puts that into perspective. I also doubt that it has a hydraulic clutch. That lump on the left side of the handlebars looks more like the engine and light control switches. Notice the two seperate lines coming down from the left side of the handlebars.

Some more speculations that I would like to make are these... from the skinny grab bar I would guess that this machine has a removable sub-frame. Also, by putting the steering stem mount up on the upper a-arm mount tubes, the front end was skinned up to give this 400-class machine more travel and better handling. But what is up with NO skid plate? That rear shock is also riding really flat and low. No linkage rear suspension??? Making room for EFI?

That's all I got... what does everyone else think?

86atc250r 05-02-2000 01:03 AM

Good observations, time will tell....

Now, on the DT175 engine, are you absolutely positive about the right hand chain. It's been a really long time, but I could swear that mine's chain was on the left. I know where the bike is, I could check as early as tomorrow afternoon....

In fact, the more I think about it, it was on the left, because the chain wore a whole in the case by the clutch acutator. It then leaked it's oil, and the pushrod that transfers the force from the acutator thru the block to the pressure plate of the clutch (which was on the right, next to the kick starter) seized up.

86atc250r 05-02-2000 01:06 AM

Actually the Cannondale is the only ATV so far that I would consider replacing my 400EX with. This new Yamaha doesn't appeal to me much.... It is fun to speculate though.

Mike Johnson 05-02-2000 02:29 AM

they have you all fooled. If one knew anything about ATVs you could tell that this is not a yamaha quad at all! AHA! This is a new honda! Just look at the handlebars, the front bumper, the tail light, the rear axle carrier, and even the rear fenders look like honda fenders. Maybe this is the new 600ex? Ive solved it! LOL na, i dont believe this, just jokin around. LOL
96 banshee, 89 warrior.

rooster 05-02-2000 03:24 AM

Mike Johnson, that could be true, you could see the Honda test riders testing it against their 400EX in that one picture! By the way, you were good in the Atlanta summer olympics, you are one hell of a fast runner!

RoostKing 05-02-2000 11:29 AM

It looks bad, it is Yamaha blue, and its the new Banshee,

All Righty then....

RoostKing...