Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 05:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee won't start

You piped it and did'nt increase your pilot size, did'nt you?

Old 04-15-2003, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

First, 1 pint to 5 gallons is 40:1 and not 32:1. That's a little light onthe oil for Yamalube but that wouldn't cause it to be hard to start.

If it's hard to start I would say you have a problem with your reeds, something wrong with the choke but I doubt that, improper gap on your plugs, weak ignition or.... Well, that's all I can think of if you have good compression. It's not your pilots the stock ones work fine piped or not at almost any altitude. It's not the type of plug - plugs will affect other things but shouldn't make it hard to start.

Do the simple things first. Pull a plug and connect it to the plug wire and look at the spark when you kick it over. Is it weak or nice and fat? Check your gap on the plugs. If the spark look s a little weak try a slightly smaller gap (.026" maybe) and if the spark looks good try a slightly larger gap (.030" maybe). IF that doesn't get you anywhere I would check the reeds for cracks or chips or poor seating. Are you sure the compression is good??? 145 is a lot higher than stock, BTW. Only other thing I can think of is maybe an air leak someshere????

Old 04-16-2003, 02:53 AM
Pro Rider

Ok lets start with this... explain exactly what your start up proceedure is and tempature of the air, throttle or no throttle, pilot jet size, air screw adjustment, and mods when you are having these problems.

Old 04-17-2003, 03:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

i don't think it would be my reeds, it does have high compression, i have had it checked three times, it has good wiseco pistons, gaps on plugs are ok w/spark where would an air leak be?

Old 04-17-2003, 03:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

start up temp, anywhere from 30 to 90-same, half throttle , sometimes no throttle, choke, no choke key on, and off, then back on, air screws are 1 1/2 out

Old 04-17-2003, 04:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

jets are good, it idles fine, IT'S VERY STRANGE

Old 04-17-2003, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds electrical, check coil and cdi box for proper resistance, even coil wire resistance my contribute to the problem.

Old 04-18-2003, 02:54 AM
Pro Rider

This is how I start my Banshee.
1. turn gas on run.
2. turn on key and engine kill switch.
3. pull choke out one click for warm temps 60+ degrees and all the way out colder than 60.
4 kick until it starts firing then turn off choke or move to one click out if full out.
5. kick until it starts. The only time I press the gas is when it will not idle and even then it's after the bike will run but without the aid of a little more gas it will die.

Normally your quad will not need the choke to start if you have ridden it in the same day and the tempatures are about the same as when you turned the engine off. Low compression makes starting hard as well as a lean pilot circuit.

Old 04-18-2003, 11:05 AM
Trailblazer

Banshee's have a throttle override system. Its located on top of your carb. Wiggle those if either one is loose it wont start. Many banshee's have this problem. They make a kit to get rid of it. When you kick your banshee blurp the throttle. Two strokes need gas to start.

Old 04-21-2003, 03:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks man, i sue the same starting procedure exactly, my compression just tested 145 again on both sides 2 days ago, what is a lean pilot circuit?

Quick Reply: Banshee won't start