ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Banshee won't start (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/96138-banshee-wont-start.html)

BitchenBanshee 04-15-2003 04:15 PM

Banshee won't start

My 01 banshee never wants to start, i have replaced plugs, checked ohms on stater, and made sure i have fire to plugs, the damn thing will never start, you have to pull it or push it, when it is started it runs fine,sometimes it will start frist kick, (not often at all), you can ride for hours, shut it off for more than five minutes, and it won't kick. I NEED HELP!!

iamchad2k5 04-15-2003 04:26 PM

Banshee won't start

what kind of plugs are you using?

BitchenBanshee 04-15-2003 04:29 PM

Banshee won't start

NGK b8es, or b9's, and tried b7's, most always b8's

iamchad2k5 04-15-2003 04:33 PM

Banshee won't start

hmm...for one, id go to B8EG, and well, does it have good compression? are the reeds good? filter clean? etc.?

BitchenBanshee 04-15-2003 04:37 PM

Banshee won't start

has 145 compression on both sides, good reeds, freshly cleaned filters, run good gas and oil

iamchad2k5 04-15-2003 04:56 PM

Banshee won't start

damn. what gas and oil mixture? and what kind of oil?

BitchenBanshee 04-15-2003 05:01 PM

Banshee won't start

i always go a pint to five gallons, usually put octaine boost in, use yamalube 2-r, and have run alot of castor 927 through it, occasionally some cheaper oil, not often at all, most always yama 2-r, it's really starting to piss me off

iamchad2k5 04-15-2003 05:03 PM

Banshee won't start

well, ok, but whats the ratio? 20:1, 32:1, 48:1, 50:1?

BitchenBanshee 04-15-2003 05:04 PM

Banshee won't start

one pint to five gallons is always 32:1

iamchad2k5 04-15-2003 05:06 PM

Banshee won't start

damn man, im runnin out of ideas here. is anything up with the jetting maybe? or, idle?

garyc660R 04-15-2003 05:07 PM

Banshee won't start

You piped it and did'nt increase your pilot size, did'nt you?

WyoDuner 04-15-2003 06:25 PM

Banshee won't start

First, 1 pint to 5 gallons is 40:1 and not 32:1. That's a little light onthe oil for Yamalube but that wouldn't cause it to be hard to start.

If it's hard to start I would say you have a problem with your reeds, something wrong with the choke but I doubt that, improper gap on your plugs, weak ignition or.... Well, that's all I can think of if you have good compression. It's not your pilots the stock ones work fine piped or not at almost any altitude. It's not the type of plug - plugs will affect other things but shouldn't make it hard to start.

Do the simple things first. Pull a plug and connect it to the plug wire and look at the spark when you kick it over. Is it weak or nice and fat? Check your gap on the plugs. If the spark look s a little weak try a slightly smaller gap (.026" maybe) and if the spark looks good try a slightly larger gap (.030" maybe). IF that doesn't get you anywhere I would check the reeds for cracks or chips or poor seating. Are you sure the compression is good??? 145 is a lot higher than stock, BTW. Only other thing I can think of is maybe an air leak someshere????

DunePilot858 04-16-2003 02:53 AM

Banshee won't start

Ok lets start with this... explain exactly what your start up proceedure is and tempature of the air, throttle or no throttle, pilot jet size, air screw adjustment, and mods when you are having these problems.

BitchenBanshee 04-17-2003 03:34 PM

Banshee won't start

i don't think it would be my reeds, it does have high compression, i have had it checked three times, it has good wiseco pistons, gaps on plugs are ok w/spark where would an air leak be?

BitchenBanshee 04-17-2003 03:36 PM

Banshee won't start

start up temp, anywhere from 30 to 90-same, half throttle , sometimes no throttle, choke, no choke key on, and off, then back on, air screws are 1 1/2 out

BitchenBanshee 04-17-2003 04:50 PM

Banshee won't start

jets are good, it idles fine, IT'S VERY STRANGE

Ernie660R 04-17-2003 06:18 PM

Banshee won't start

Sounds electrical, check coil and cdi box for proper resistance, even coil wire resistance my contribute to the problem.

DunePilot858 04-18-2003 02:54 AM

Banshee won't start

This is how I start my Banshee.
1. turn gas on run.
2. turn on key and engine kill switch.
3. pull choke out one click for warm temps 60+ degrees and all the way out colder than 60.
4 kick until it starts firing then turn off choke or move to one click out if full out.
5. kick until it starts. The only time I press the gas is when it will not idle and even then it's after the bike will run but without the aid of a little more gas it will die.

Normally your quad will not need the choke to start if you have ridden it in the same day and the tempatures are about the same as when you turned the engine off. Low compression makes starting hard as well as a lean pilot circuit.

bansheeridr 04-18-2003 11:05 AM

Banshee won't start

Banshee's have a throttle override system. Its located on top of your carb. Wiggle those if either one is loose it wont start. Many banshee's have this problem. They make a kit to get rid of it. When you kick your banshee blurp the throttle. Two strokes need gas to start.

BitchenBanshee 04-21-2003 03:11 PM

Banshee won't start

thanks man, i sue the same starting procedure exactly, my compression just tested 145 again on both sides 2 days ago, what is a lean pilot circuit?

BitchenBanshee 04-21-2003 03:12 PM

Banshee won't start

Coil wire resistance huh? ok, i have checked stater, not coil or cdi box... that cause's this problem?, and how would i check that?, thanks alot man

BitchenBanshee 04-21-2003 03:14 PM

Banshee won't start

what is proper resistance on those? or can i find it in the book?

mapsurfer 04-28-2003 10:40 AM

Banshee won't start

BitchenBanshee,

Did you fix this problem with Banshee not starting?
If so, what did you find?

Regards,

-map

BlasterOwnage 04-28-2003 10:44 PM

Banshee won't start

Hey i suggest you check if you flooded ur carb, b/c my blaster wouldnt start for bout a week and i think it was cuz my carb was flooded.....i suggest you kick it with ur gas off turn it on then kick that mofo again. Good Luck man i know its annoying when that stuff happens. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

albaBANSHE 04-29-2003 12:24 AM

Banshee won't start

I had the same problem when I had a banshee and it turned out to be clooged gas line... go figure

BitchenBanshee 04-29-2003 02:24 PM

Banshee won't start

no i have not fixed the piece of sh*t, i am becoming very frustrated, any ideas?, thanks...

Ernie660R 04-29-2003 03:11 PM

Banshee won't start

Do you have the carbtors removed, if so a friend of mine could not start his up after sitting for about a month. We tried everything CDI Box, Stator, wiring harness, etc. Well it all boiled down to the wires that unpluged from the tors, he tied them together and everything atarted to work again. Don't ask me why or how, cuz I don't know.

BitchenBanshee 04-29-2003 03:29 PM

Banshee won't start

i'll check it out, did it run once he got it started though?, mine does, it just doesn't want to start after sitting for more than 10 -15 minutes, THANKS

ezplumore51 03-11-2008 01:15 PM

Banshee won't start

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]I have a 2005 Banshee with a-lot of mods on it,It is hard to start in cold weather,or when it has sat a-few days,I have to Pull choke out full,open thottle full leave key off, kick 3+4+5 times over, close thottle,turn key on,leave choke full out,and start it,let run till it picks up RPM,s then push in choke,Rev it a few times then just let it idle and warm up some!!!!!!!!!!!! After it gets hot it will start first kick,no thottle,Bored to 65.50,Noss head with 20mm domes,Ported and polished Jugs,145PSI,FMF fatty,s and sileners,after market Hot CDI unit,Tors removed,It is a blast to ride, But it can be a pain to start!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have 2 Honda EX400,s that are bullet proof,they can sat for months and if the battery is up choke them, start,warm up a-little and Just ride The Snot out of them, put them up, and do it again, and,again!!!! Also I run 320#mains&30#Idles in the Banshee at high desert 3000+ft above sea level, and 270# mains at sea level,Banshee,s arent a turn Key and ride bike.IMHO.Eddie.

speedyman12345 03-11-2008 07:48 PM

Banshee won't start

i would check to see if you have the carb bowls on the right side, take the carbs off, get the TORS removal kit, spend an hour of your time installing it and cleaning the carb and all the jets shoul be takin out and sprayed clear, you should never need to give it gas while trying to start it, all you should have to do is shake it to mix the gas some more, pull choke out to the first slot or last slot, pump the gas 2 times and give it a few slow kits and then one good one should get it fired, if you have the wrong bowls on then the choke will not activate, its on the left carb there is a brass tube that th other one doesnt have, it goes down into a hole in the bowl, that hole that the tube goes down should have a small whole in the bottom, if not then its the wrong bowl

good luck

Squishy 03-11-2008 10:44 PM

Banshee won't start

Hey , just for the hell of it, leave plugs in motor. take both plug wires off. put a new plug in each wire, and check for spark on plugs in spark plug wires, with unhooked plugs in motor. What I'm getting at is that your crank bearings might be getting worn out of spec. What I am saying is when you check for spark with plugs out of motor there is no push down resistance on crank to bearing, therefor not changing stator fly wheel spec. but if you put plugs in motor it causes compression, putting resistance on crank bearings. If they are a bit worn in tolerance this will cause the crank shaft to be slightly lower than its intended position, therefor changing relationship to the fly wheel to stator. Do you follow what I'm talking about?? all you have to know is weather you have spark when plugs are in motor while using another set of plugs to check for spark. this might not be the problem but its a hunch. let me know how it works if you don't follow me on this let me know.

ezplumore51 03-11-2008 11:10 PM

Banshee won't start

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]I will check the carb Bowls, the crank deal I am not sure about, but I do have a ajustable timing plate and am running a +4 degree on it, I have a 200 watt stater in it also because I have a battery setup in it, so I can ride at nite in the Desert,the stock lighting sucked!!!! If I slowed down for a curve or a dip in the road the lites would dim way down and I couldnt see sh--t!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks.

ezplumore51 03-11-2008 11:14 PM

Banshee won't start

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]When you say the left carb, is that faceing the quad????? or setting on it???????? I get that mixed up.

ezplumore51 03-12-2008 02:10 AM

Banshee won't start

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]Ater thinking bout it,I have had the carbs apart to change the jets,and i remember that BOTH the bowls have a brass tube in them???????????? I also have a extra set of carbs and just checked them and they also have the brass tubes in both of them also!!!!!!!!!!! Now I be LOST!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know when I start it cold, I have to leave the choke Full out untill it picks up some RPM,s or it will die the second I open the thottle, after I get it started and running+warmed up, it runs like a raped ape, Any idels,on what,s go-n on here????? Thanks Already,And I did remove the Tors and sinked the carbs.Like I said after it gets warm, 1 kick and it,s ready to run.

eddieo51 04-21-2008 12:58 AM

Banshee won't start

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]Hey speedyman,You nailed it on the head!!!!!!!! After checking and rechecking I did figure out the bowls were crossed uPPPPPPPP. Now choke out full turn key on and 1st kick it lites up,if not the fist kick,Ipush choke half way in and it will fire off 2&3 rd kick!!!!!! Thaanks U-B-The-Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wally1992 07-07-2008 11:00 PM

Banshee won't start

hey guys i have a problem...my banshee will start but will not idle. the screws on the carb have been set correctly but the thing on top of the carb we have not idea at what it should be set at

Chris Dollars Sign Wiley 07-21-2017 01:10 AM

03 banshee

I have a 03 banshee I purchased from a guy about 4 months ago he redid the top and bottom end of the motor so when I got it I did a lil more work to it like tors removal new stator new coil n plugs but before I removed the tors the bike ran fine so I wanted to do a tors delete kit on it so I did but with my delete kit i didn't have no idle screws so I ran the bike but didn't idle but it wasn't kick starting I had to push it to start it but now idle are on it but still want start any ideas please