Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Do you bother with ATV insurance coverage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts
Default Do you bother with ATV insurance coverage?

I went with Markel on mine.

I did call Allstate too.

The one agent I had, quoted me 1100 per year, for one quad. Right, I could put that money back and just buy a new one instead.

Switched to an agent closer to my house, and checked about a year later. A little lower, but when I told them what I was paying, she said that's a good price, and they weren't even close.

Had 3 insured through Markel. That was full coverage, including theft, fire, liability, comp and personal injury. (in case a friend wrecked and decided not to be a friend)

All 3 were just over 500 a year.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Nix377

I had wo stolen out of my locked garage in 2005. Most homeowner policies will not cover gas powerd vehicles not used solely on the property.

When mine were stolen the insurance company asked how I used them. I told them I used one to plow the driveway and yard work, the other I used for hunting. They covered the one I plow with, read me the "disclaimer" for the other.

At a minimum you should get liability and fire/theft coverage. I pay $100/year total for both machines w/that coverage.</end quote></div>

Correct!!!!.........My toys in my garage are NOT covered if the garage caught fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!........I need separte INS. on ATV's and snowmobiles.........Caper........

Old 09-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

We have full coverage, including theft on all three of our ATVs and we pay about $400 per year..... We recently dropped theft on the Honda and that dropped it down to $325 a year......... IMO this is a small price to pay for piece of mind, knowing we are covered in case some jack-off steals one of them ....

In NY liability is required and is not expensive at all....

Old 09-28-2007, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have full coverage on 2 quads for less than $200 a year. Just his spring, I was not home and my daughter let a friend on my kodiak 450 and to make a long story short she ran off the road and hit a culvert, smashed her head into the front rack then through her 30 yards in the air. Even with a helment and goggles on the force of her head hittig the rack tore her eye lid nearly off along with other cuts on ther face. When I got on scene her eye ball was the size off a soft ball. I thought for sure she had internal injuries so did the EMT's. So here comes the life flight helichopter @ about $12,000. a ride. To end this imy insurance paid out over $100,000. She healed up fine and her mom got a $20,000 check for her pain and suffering(so she wouldn't sue) I'll never ride without INSURANCE. Shop around, it's cheap and I'd be in the poor house if it wasent for them.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

I dont carry any insurance on mine, everything else I have coverage on, motorcycles boat, car truck, house. I would like to add insurance on my quads (one good newer one and two old but hard to replace due to sentimental value.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:05 PM
Range Rover

I do not have ins. on my 94 Timberwolf either.
only paid 650.00 for it and no one else rides it but me.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for all the comments. After a lot of calling around, I understand what is going on much better. Here's the recap.

1) Premium rates vary WIDELY due to the specifics of who is being insured, type of coverage being requested, and the limits of coverage. I was initially quoted from my agent about $400/year for two quads. I asked what the absolute minimum coverage would be to cover one quad. The quote fell to $50/yr! Once he explained the levels and types of coverage in his quote for me, piece by piece, the price went up accordingly.

2) My shopping around found the rates between various companies fairly comparable for similar coverage. The thing that confused me most initially was the wide range of money being paid for premiums for ATVs. Shopping for the same thing made the quotes get a lot closer. Doh.

3) I've decided to get the ATVs covered. Your stories scared me enough to get me running to my agent begging to sell me that insurance. Seriously, given that my son is 12, I have no doubt believing he would do something similar and let a friend ride one of the ATVs, crash it up, and I end up getting seriously sued.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Range Rover

Smart choice.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:12 PM
Range Rover

I got a quote from Progressive: for $83 per year with Comprehensive & Collision, at $500 deductible,
Bodily Injury & Property Damage:
$50,000 person/$100,000 accident/$25,000 property damage,
Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorists Bodily Injury:
$50,000 person/$100,000 accident
Roadside Assistance included,
This is for the 2007 Honda Rancher TRX420FM.

This seems pretty reasonable, and is based on being a home owner with a good driving record, but before I activate it I'll check with the company carrying our multi-vehicle policy, AIG, just to be sure they can't beat it.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

You"ll sleep a lot better a night having Insurance!

Quick Reply: Do you bother with ATV insurance coverage?