CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Outlander L Tow Points

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 07:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outlander L Tow Points

I just got a 2015 Outlander L Max (Same as Outlander L just extended for two people). I am planning to use the trailer in the link below to carry the ATV.

Carry-On Trailer Wood Floor Utility Trailer, 5 ft. x 8 ft., 2,000 GVWR - For Life Out Here

My question is what are the tie down points. I have seen different stuff on the web but thought for sure there would be vendor recommended tie points for the ATV. My first though is use the front and rear recovery hooks. It looks like solid metal welded to the frame. If you have a manual you can see what I am talking about in the equipment section.

I plan to use 4 ratchet straps and make an X using two on the front and two on the back. Just curious what others have done.

Also one other question. I rode it for a few minutes at low speed and it had a burning smell coming from it. Is that typical for new ATVs or should I be concerned?

Old 09-11-2015, 07:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, make sure that trailer will hold your quad. 8' may be the overall length including tongue, not deck length.

For tie downs, four is great, 2 holding the machine forward and 2 holding it back. Recovery points are fine. I just find a nice place on the frame for my sport quads and even the side by side though. As long as you don't squash any cables or have rub points on the tie down straps it should be no issue. Also, don't use the suspension parts. I like to put the front wheels tight to the front of a trailer like that and hold it against the rail with the first tie downs I put on.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would call the dealer about that smell. I have heard that some manufacturers put some sort of coating on the exhaust on new machines that will "burn off" as you ride them. It might be the belt as well if it smells like burnt rubber. Again, something that might be normal for some new machines. If I buy a new quad and something doesn't feel quite right, I think it would be better to contact the dealer as soon as possible to document the potential problem so that there is not a warranty issue. If there is a problem later on, they have the initial incident on file.