CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Outlander 800R or Brute Force 750?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fix the worn out stuff, you'll have a great bike. All 3 of my Arctic Cats were rode hard, put away wet by previous owners. Spent a few bucks, now everything is good..

Old 03-09-2017, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911
I just picked it up. For sure it's been rode pretty hard. The U joint is really shot so I couldn't really drive it more than just baby it to load it up. The brakes are shot and because of that it did not like shifting into gear. It's got a lot of high dollar parts on it so worst case scenario I could probably part it out and make my money back. I'll find out more tomorrow after the dealer looks at it to find out if I am hosed or not.
One thing I forgot. The Can-Ams can be a bit tough to shift. You learn to rock back and forth a bit to get it out of gear into a new gear. I call it the Can-Am shuffle.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:45 PM
Range Rover

Yeah you definitely had to rock it. I thought it was because the rear brakes were destroyed and the front ones well worn.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by CALL911
Yeah you definitely had to rock it. I thought it was because the rear brakes were destroyed and the front ones well worn.
I think they can lube up the bearing or mechanism to make it a bit easy. But, they are always notchy.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:19 PM
Range Rover

Heard back from the dealer. Brakes are shot and there was a leak in a break line. The driveshaft assembly needs replaced with the u joint but that's about it! I am having them fix some small miscellaneous items and check the valves. Total bill is gonna be about $800. Not too bad considering I'll have $5700 invested in a $9000 quad!

Old 03-10-2017, 05:23 PM
Trailblazer

I really hope I am wrong here bud but it sounds like you got your hands full with a trashed machine. Can ams are already semi finicky without abuse and it seems who ever sold it to you, knew it was hemraging . I'd part it out and sell it before a multi thousand dollar repair is needed and start over. lord only knows how many times it's been sunk

Old 03-10-2017, 05:31 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Asaran
I really hope I am wrong here bud but it sounds like you got your hands full with a trashed machine. Can ams are already semi finicky without abuse and it seems who ever sold it to you, knew it was hemraging . I'd part it out and sell it before a multi thousand dollar repair is needed and start over. lord only knows how many times it's been sunk
The dealer has looked over it fully. Even looking into the engine and checking the valves. They said it's actually not too bad at all and will be back to 100% when they are done. Without any of the performance mods this quad is easily worth $8500-$9000. For $5700 that I will have total invested after the repairs, I think I did great on buying this actually. I was expecting the dealer to find that it was trashed and it might be on the verge of catastrophic failure, but actually it's not bad at all.

Now consider also that it has $1800 fox shocks, an $1800 clutch I have already been offered $1300 for on another forum, and many other extras like upgraded axles another set of beadlock wheels, ect. and I would say I literally stole this quad.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Great deal. Other than frame issues on the first generation frame, Can-Ams are pretty reliable. I've only had a couple minor things done outside of maintenance. Given the abuse of riding around 2500 miles in mud, snow, sand, deep water, rocks, mud, rocks, and roots, here in New England I'd have to say it's treated me very well.

I've noticed over the years that popularity has gone from Honda, to Polaris, to Can-Am here in New England. If you're talking about side by sides, than it is Polaris.

All in all, I think you have a great bargain. Time will tell.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:41 AM
Range Rover

Time will tell for sure. I am glad I made the decision I did here, as it was a gamble. Can Ams are more attractive and more powerful than the Brutes and the big thing that was separating the two for me was the price but this just happened to come around at just the right time.

I can't wait until I am able to get some good riding in!

Old 03-26-2017, 10:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Finally warmed up around here. Now if it will just stop raining.