Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

brake cable probs

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-1999, 08:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my 84 suzuki lt 125 the rear brake lever on the handlebars seems to like to stick once you have pulled it in. if you try to push it back out the whole cable will move and the brakes will stay engaged(so the black case holding the cable slides out of the lever socket it fits into). it actuates the brakes but if you want to let off them you have to hold the actual cable with one hand and push the lever back to its original position. i sprayed wd 40 down the cable but it didnt help. i have no clue how to fix this and just might take off the lever and cable because it has foot brakes that work better. plus im used to the lever controlling the front brakes---thanks alot

------------------

Old 07-21-1999, 03:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob, we're getting to be regular pen pals. It sounds like you need to get into the rear brake hub, (I assume you have drum brakes) you've probably got rust or whatever causing the shoes to stick against the drum. Try wd 40 on all springs & other parts, but don;t get any on the shoes themselves. while you're in there u might as well lube that end of the cable as well.as you may know WD40 has little or no lubricating quality, it's merely a cleaner & displacer of moisture. I would use something like Breakfree, which cleans, lubes, & protects against rust.
Try doing this, tho before disconnecting the brake lever on the bars. There may come a time when you'll be glad you had it, such as an injury to your foot or damage to the foot brake on a ride.

Cal, the AZ hard packer