Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Maxxis Zilla(NOT MUDZILLA) VS. ITP Mudlight 26'

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 05:35 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maxxis Zilla(NOT MUDZILLA) VS. ITP Mudlight 26'

when you had 26's on ur kodiak did you notice a little pull off power loss? i want that snappy without installing a clutch, i may get springs in the summer tho

Old 03-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

When I put the 26" tires on my 450, I didn't notice power loss. I did go with the clutch kit afterwards to get more snap at the take-off. Remember that they do make clutch kits for stock ATV's too so they are not only meant to get back low end power loss but to give the bike more "snap" at the beginning.
Buck

Old 03-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Range Rover

hey, i do not like the slow feeling in a cluthc kit, we have one here in a 750 brute, it waits like a snowmobile engaging then it hits hard, so are the 26' zilaa more of a 25 with better tread?

Old 03-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

I recently put a set of 25 inch Zillas mounted on Supergrip 5star wheels on my 07 Forman. I really like them so far, but have only had a couple weeks. They have little to no vibration on hard pack, and did well enough in the clay mud we have around hear. I can tell you more tommorrow, as we will be riding about 20-30 miles on hardpack and slick rocks.
As for weight, they felt as light as the stock tire/wheel combo that comes on the Foreman. They do measure about 24 inches, and have 3/4 inch lug depth.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

Just to let you know, I was pleased with the new Zillas. We rode about 20 miles on mountain trails with some rocks and steep hills. They hooked up good on the rocks and were comfortable on the hard pack. If this is your terrain, I think you will be happy with them.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

I just got a good 40 mile ride yesterday on my 26" Zillas. Very smooth riding tire that easily climbed over trees and logs. Grabbed well on rocks and walked through mud. I didn't try any very deep mud holes (it's still a little cold here) but overall I like better than the Swamplites....so far. The wear will determine that. They seem to steer a little easier than than previous tires I've tried. Good review so far.
Buck

Old 03-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer

which do you guys think would be the best tire and size for an 06 wolverine? i'm considering staying with the stock rim, adding 1 1/2" spacers to make up for the perfex lift i just added. i ride in all conditions. i live in the swamps of south florida and have property in the mountains of tennessee. needs to be versitile, clear the wells, comfortable ride, climbing ability and go through heavy sticky muck

Old 03-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

I dont know about with the lift. Mine went a stock foreman, and being that I ride rocks, and hardpack, I stayed with the 25's. Someone correct me if Im wrong, but going up to a 26 only gains you 1/2 inch ground clearence, and it wasnt worth the extra $$$ to size up. If you are in mud, I would go with the largest size that will clear your fenders and your wallet. The Zillas are a light tire so I dont think you will experiance much power loss as you would with a heavier tire.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

You're right bigbamaboy. The only difference is that not all manufacturers sizes are true. I had 25" Mudlites that measured 23 3/4" and 26" Swamplites that measured 26 1/4". When I switched from one to the other I gained 2 1/2" or 1 1/4" ground clearance. That's the problem. They need a more uniform way to measure.
As far as rsitalian, I'd recommend a 26" tire if you can find one with a 8" front and 10" rear for your rims. That's if your wolvy comes with 25" stock.
Hope this helps guys.
Buck

Old 03-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Trailblazer

they come with 23x8x12 in the front and 23x10x12 in the back. my problem is, the lift rubs the sidewall of the stock 23" tire which is why i figured i had the option of getting a deeper offset wheel or using wheel spacers. budget is a factor, but i do want to make sure whatever way i choose, its going to work. so sticking with the stock wheel and tire width, just increasing the tire height and adding spacers may solve my problem? which way should i go? thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Maxxis Zilla(NOT MUDZILLA) VS. ITP Mudlight 26'