Family ATVing Photos Post photos of yourself, family and friends on the trail.

Paiute Trail, Utah

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
I remember seeing on a tv show about offroading across Alaska a few years ago, one group had something that looked like the blade on a plow that they would simply dig into the ground and winch from when there were no trees. These were full size rigs wheeling across Alaska in a race for a $50,000 price I think. They had to pass through checkpoints each day and the times were cumulative, so if one group finished 20 minutes ahead, they carried that into the next day. The group with the plow thing ended up winning too. It would obviously be very heavy and bulky to carry on an atv(possibly a utv though) but since atvs are lighter, you could use something smaller. It didn't always work that well, sometimes the mud was so sloppy that sometimes the winch would simply pull it out of the ground. Again, a much lighter atv wouldn't be as likely to pull it out of the ground.
They used a large rendition of a sand anchor that boaters use. Once the tines dig in it gets tighter and goes deeper as you put pull on it. If you pull it 180 degrees the other direction it will come out. Shovel helps in situations like Specta was in to dig the snow out from under the floor boards and even cut ramps in the snow to back up. Knowing Specta, it's a matter of sheer stubbornness that got him in that situation.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:39 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4WD can get you out of some bad situations but it can also get you into them, and if you get stuck in 4WD I hope you're prepared for it.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
4WD can get you out of some bad situations but it can also get you into them, and if you get stuck in 4WD I hope you're prepared for it.
I always say, the only difference between 2wd and 4wd is that you get stuck a lot further into the woods.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love 4-wd :d

If I were to buy some type of an anchor this is what I'd get, $21.00.

I've heard people say they work great.

Last week was the first time I've been in a jam like I was with nothing to winch from so its not too likely that I'll be buying one. :d

I was fortunate to have enough rope and tow straps to reach something to winch from.

I bought a new rope to replace the one I broke so I'll cut off what I think is weak and put hooks on the ends and end up with another 30-40' foot tow rope.

Besides, my trunk is full. LOL

Old 03-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

I bought a 50' 1/4" synthetic rope on amazon for $20.

I cut the spool end at a 45°

then I glued it into a Bic pen cap

Then I fed the cap and rope about 4" up the inside of the rope.

Here's the loop so I could put a hook on both ends.

The finished product.
A 1/4" 50' synthetic recovery rope.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:01 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I saw the picture of the Bic pen cap I was thinking okay where are you going with this. It looks like a great way to splice an eye into the rope.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:24 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
When I saw the picture of the Bic pen cap I was thinking okay where are you going with this. It looks like a great way to splice an eye into the rope.
A friend in Texas told me how to do that.

I had that 50' rope and didn't know what to do with it so I asked everyone how to put the loop in the end of it.

The rope on my winch broke but that held up just fine.

I'm going to cut back the rope that busted and do the same to it. I should end up with another 40' recovery rope.

I got my new rope, 5600 lb. I hope it lasts longer than my last one. LOL

Old 03-19-2017, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Why the ------ didn't someone tell me about using a Bic pen cap to thread rope back into itself? I used a coat hanger and made a small hook to pull the rope. Something tells me your way was easier. Got sick of busting either metal cable or synthetic rope plowing. I fed about 6' of 1/4" synthetic into a larger rope that I had. So far, so good. No breaks this year.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Why the ------ didn't someone tell me about using a Bic pen cap to thread rope back into itself?
I never would have thought to use the cap either but it did make it pretty easy

Old 03-20-2017, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

I loaded my camper yesterday preparing for my summer adventures.

I bought my truck with the intent of buying a slide-in camper. I bought the truck in 2013 and finally found the right camper last fall.

It is loaded with AC, electric jacks, heated tanks and tons more. Used campers for 8' beds are the buyers market these days. A friend of mine owns a RV dealership and he told me that last year over 80% of all the new campers he sold were for short bed trucks.

I'm sure you would just love a tour of the inside.

Not all of them will be here on the Paiute Trail but when I do go I'll post the pictures here anyway. I hope that's OK.

Quick Reply: Paiute Trail, Utah