Family ATVing Photos Post photos of yourself, family and friends on the trail.

Our 2016 Paiute Trail trip.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
Looks like you all had a great time. Great pics. I wish I lived closer. Just haven't had the time to travel anywhere that far away. I'd like to think my Brute would do pretty good in the dunes too. I wouldn't quite be able to keep up with those Scramblers but I bet I wouldn't be left too far behind.
Brute would do fine. Similar torque and horsepower as the Can-Am 650. If you didn't have sand paddle tires putting it in 4wd would work.

Last edited by MooseHenden; 03-06-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sure tires would help a lot in the sand. The 750 probably has similar power to your Outlander, the 650 falls a little short. Its probably comparable to the performance of the 500 twin.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

I'm sure tires would help a lot in the sand. The 750 probably has similar power to your Outlander, the 650 falls a little short. Its probably comparable to the performance of the 500 twin.
I don't know why I always assume it's a 750....

Old 09-10-2016, 03:42 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My biggest issue is that my wife doesn't care for atving, so I would have to send her to Vegas or Cali. While I ride the trails.....that makes for a very expensive vacation.

Old 09-10-2016, 04:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I don't know why I always assume it's a 750....
Yeah, mines a 650. They made an irs 650 as well and for some reason it has a little more power. The Renegade 500 your son used to have would probably be about equal in performance to my 650. It has plenty of power for the kind of riding I do.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Great pics. Going to the Jamboree last year was a dream come true for me. I was up on Monroe myself on one ride, but there's so much to see there I only got a sample the week I was there. I've been kicking myself since for not looking for a job while I was there. The area (Richfield, Marysvale, Monroe) is really neat and don't think I'd have a problem relocating.

I sold my ATV and trailer due to money issues these last few months, but I've vowed to myself if I can ever get back to a comfy level I'll be back to the trail someday. To be honest, after I got back from there, all the usual trails here in KS just seemed so mundane. I don't think I'd ever be bored out there.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by HawkeyeRider
My biggest issue is that my wife doesn't care for atving, so I would have to send her to Vegas or Cali. While I ride the trails.....that makes for a very expensive vacation.
My wife goes on one or two rides each year. She has a good enough time but it's not her cup of proverbial tea. She likes the outdoors and canoed the Allagash River in Northern Maine well before I did it. Just not into long rides on the quad. After doing quite a few switchback trails that are quad width, with hefty drop offs, off-camber hill climbs, etc. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have gone out more than one day.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Yeah, mines a 650. They made an irs 650 as well and for some reason it has a little more power. The Renegade 500 your son used to have would probably be about equal in performance to my 650. It has plenty of power for the kind of riding I do.
I only had one steep trail right up near the top that I wished I had more power. This was at about 10,000 ft. with crushed pumice that got wet and created a really slick surface that had me slowing way down, even in the widest corners. I stopped trying to keep up with the boyz after sliding towards the edge of a corner with a good 50' drop off.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by John32070
Great pics. Going to the Jamboree last year was a dream come true for me. I was up on Monroe myself on one ride, but there's so much to see there I only got a sample the week I was there. I've been kicking myself since for not looking for a job while I was there. The area (Richfield, Marysvale, Monroe) is really neat and don't think I'd have a problem relocating.

I sold my ATV and trailer due to money issues these last few months, but I've vowed to myself if I can ever get back to a comfy level I'll be back to the trail someday. To be honest, after I got back from there, all the usual trails here in KS just seemed so mundane. I don't think I'd ever be bored out there.
I thought about moving out there once or twice but I don't think there are good enough jobs in the area to make it worth it. A couple of restaurants we had ridden to for breakfast were closed, at least for the time being. Not so bad, because we made our own breakfast cheaper than it would have been. But, we like supporting local businesses as much as possible when we ride places that are very inviting to riders. Northern NH, Maine, and Utah all fit in that category.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I only had one steep trail right up near the top that I wished I had more power. This was at about 10,000 ft. with crushed pumice that got wet and created a really slick surface that had me slowing way down, even in the widest corners. I stopped trying to keep up with the boyz after sliding towards the edge of a corner with a good 50' drop off.
That's probably where the more sport oriented Scramblers have the advantage over the pure utility machines. Its funny that I was just browsing through the local craigslist ads as I often do and found a nice used 2013 Scrambler 850(no eps) for $5000 in Southest Missouri, about 150 miles or so from me 2013 POLARIS SCRAMBLER 4X4 850. It only has 672 miles on it. I've seen used Scrambler 850's and 1000's as well as Renegades but none with this few miles on them for that price. Its tempting to go check it out but I see the ad is already 2 months old so its most likely already sold anyway. A deal like that lasts only a few days before someone comes and snatches it up. Many times on craigslist people leave ads up well after the item has sold. I'm guessing this is the case here. Still made me think. The 850 isn't quite as powerful as the 1000 but it would be way more powerful than anything I have ever ridden.

Quick Reply: Our 2016 Paiute Trail trip.