Fishing! Salt & Fresh Water. Tackle, Bait. Discuss fishing tips, tricks and techniques.

Quads and ice fishing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im' listening go on ,lets here about it

Old 02-16-2011, 07:11 AM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Default News flash

Two snowmobilers went through the ice on Lake Bemidji in northern MN over the weekend. Both were rescued and treated and released at the hospital. It's been an extra cold winter and the ice on that lake is probably a couple of feet thick in most places. However, a couple of factors came into play here. One, they were riding near open water at the lake's outlet stream. Second, they were riding at night and probably didn't see the open water. These riders were local, and you would think they would have known to avoid the area of moving water at the lake's outlet, especially in the dark.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:40 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by Hunt'n'photos
I have had mine on 6" of ice, but I dont park on it at that thickness. I like to have a little more than that to park on. Luckily here in AK once we get 6 inches the next day there could be plenty and by the next weekend its not an issue!
6" is plenty.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Trailblazer

Hey you guys all sleepen or what ????!!!!!!

Old 02-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Default still another ice accident

And in today's news, we have two more snowmobilers going through the ice in Minnesota. This happened on Krays Lake south of Cold Spring. The two got themselves out ok, but their sleds are now submarines. These two were riding in a channel where flowing water made the ice thin. What keeps being demonstrated by the news reports is that ice thickness is not consistent. You can ride for miles on thick ice with no problem, then hit a thin spot. I do ride on ice myself, but I keep to tracks that are already there, where someone else has ridden safely. Still I realize that ice that was plenty thick last week might not hold me today, and that existing tracks can end at a hole in the ice. I just try to minimize the risks.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Trailblazer

Ya here in Wisconsin we had some trucks go through an a older man had passed after they got him to the hospital , to bad man

Old 02-27-2011, 03:57 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any sled moving fast enough should never go down, but I'm always carefull in areas with running water under the ice....

Old 03-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Trailblazer

I took my blaster out on 5 and it was plenty. But if you have a heavier quad you should atleast wait a couple more inches.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default crazy

A snowmobiler is missing after going through the ice on Lake Winnebago in Wisconsin. His body hasn't been found yet, but his sled has been retrieved. The crazy thing about this is that a motorist on a nearby road saw the guy go right into open water and sink. Maybe he thought he could skip over it, but that didn't work very well for him. I guess it could have been a suicide.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deeplaker60
A snowmobiler is missing after going through the ice on Lake Winnebago in Wisconsin. His body hasn't been found yet, but his sled has been retrieved. The crazy thing about this is that a motorist on a nearby road saw the guy go right into open water and sink. Maybe he thought he could skip over it, but that didn't work very well for him. I guess it could have been a suicide.

Did they ever find his body? Very sad for the family...

Quick Reply: Quads and ice fishing?