General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Need help on buying an ATV.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Lance Giannelli
I go up to Harmony a good amount. I may need to call you hahaha. I'm seeing a lot of Polaris Sportsman 500 for sale in my area or within a few hours around 3500 to 4500 used with 600 to 1400 miles on them is that good? Also why does it seem like there is an awful lot of them being sold.
There are a lot of Polaris 500 machines out there because they are the best selling utility quad in the 500 cc class. A lot of people get the bug and go out a couple times and stop riding. If you can find a machine where someone has just lost interest you should be able to find a machine that's in good shape.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Look around, buying used is all about proper care and maintence!! I have had Yamaha, and a Kawasaki with no issues in 16 years, and currently in a Kymco and lovin it. I hate to bash Polaris but all my friends had problems with theirs, if you look in the forums, biggest number of complaints seem to come from the Polaris camp. That said... it is only fair to add that Polaris is also one of the bigger sellers as far as number of vehicles on the road so there is bound to be more complaints. Shop wisely and don't be afraid to ask questions, buying used is a gamble so put the odds on your side and research!

Old 05-11-2016, 01:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

People many times will buy a quad because their friends have them. Then when their friends stop riding or something changes in their personal life, they either no longer have the desire to ride or don't have time. Some people only use them for hunting, that's why you'll see quads 10 years old with 600 miles on them. How a quad was maintained and treated is important to how reliable it will be. I too think the Polaris quads seem to have the most problems simply because there are more of them out there than anything else. I do think Hondas are the most reliable but even they can be abused if you try hard enough.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:07 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
There are a lot of Polaris 500 machines out there because they are the best selling utility quad in the 500 cc class. A lot of people get the bug and go out a couple times and stop riding. If you can find a machine where someone has just lost interest you should be able to find a machine that's in good shape.
When you sell well over a million of a single model there are going to be a lot of them around.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again guys you all have been very helpful. Really liking the site as far as help goes. I just found a Arctic Cat 500 efi for sale. Got him down to $4000 then come to find out he only put 35 miles on it. I think I got a steal what's the consensus?

Old 05-11-2016, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Good lookin machine, what year? must be recent if it has efi...wow 35 miles..hard to believe but....I see many people getting the itch to go buy one then they have no where to ride and no one to ride with so the machine sits. I live out in the country so riding around the neighborhood is not an issue. When my boys got their own we did a lot of riding even made a small track in our back few acres. Once they grew up, got married, got rid of their machines...mine just sat with no one to ride with. That is when I decided to go with the UTV, now my wife and grandkids want to go along and I have that itch to go out riding once again. Now that I am partly retired I am looking for other riding partners as I have more flexible hours and time to ride.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:12 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

35 miles is less than one good days ride. I'm calling the cops because you stole that thing.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lance Giannelli
Thanks again guys you all have been very helpful. Really liking the site as far as help goes. I just found a Arctic Cat 500 efi for sale. Got him down to $4000 then come to find out he only put 35 miles on it. I think I got a steal what's the consensus?

I don't know if you stole it, haha, but I think you will like it. It has enough power, but not so powerful that you snap axles etc. That Suzuki motor is one of the best! BTW my mechanic works on all models, he says the AC's with that motor are some of the most reliable. Depending how you ride, you might want to upgrade the tires.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Looks like a great deal to me. Congratulations.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I see it has a winch too, bonus there. About 3 grand less than a brand new 500 by the time you add all the dealer fees and taxes so I'd say you got a great deal.

Quick Reply: Need help on buying an ATV.