General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Moto4 no spark

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 04:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moto4 no spark

I have an 87 or 88 Moto4 with a 350 engine. It doesn't have a spark. I pulled the cover to have a look at the stator (I think that's the correct name). It looked milky and dirty. Is that the way they are supposed to look? I'm familiar with larger engines, but haven't had much experience with smaller ones, so excuse my ignorance.

Also, when I drained the oil, I noticed a TON of gas mixed in with the oil. What could cause that? The oil/fuel mixture that drained out was very think and looked like Pepsi.

I don't know much about the bike. I just bought it and the last owner told me it ran up until a couple of weeks ago. I've never heard it run.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atvinca
I have an 87 or 88 Moto4 with a 350 engine. It doesn't have a spark. I pulled the cover to have a look at the stator (I think that's the correct name). It looked milky and dirty. Is that the way they are supposed to look? I'm familiar with larger engines, but haven't had much experience with smaller ones, so excuse my ignorance.

Also, when I drained the oil, I noticed a TON of gas mixed in with the oil. What could cause that? The oil/fuel mixture that drained out was very think and looked like Pepsi.

I don't know much about the bike. I just bought it and the last owner told me it ran up until a couple of weeks ago. I've never heard it run.

Hard to tell if a stator is good or bad by looking at it. You will need to do several resistance checks. Drain all the old fuel out....add fresh. You may need to rebuild the carb as well. Also, you will need a manual to correctly troubleshoot the no spark issue.