General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Throttle cable problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 08:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle cable problem

I have a Polaris sportsman 500 ho, sometimes it puts out too many rpms or not enough that makes not want to start. I move the cable around to adjust it, and it fixes it for the time being. But as I drive through the trails the cable moves around and the rpms go too high again; I have to re-adjust it, gets really annoying after a while because it won't let change gears from H to L etc..until I wait for the rpms to go down. Would replacing the cable fix the issue? Any suggestions?

Old 12-12-2016, 10:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

First off have the clutch cable loose going from the throttle to the carb.and no binding or pulling of the cable.You may have to pull the front panel and side plastic to make sure it's not binding. Adjust the throttle cable at the thumb lever to where you have no more than 1/8" slack at the lever. Then adjust the carb idle to about 1080-100 rpms. Hopefully this will help. Could also be a clutch problem. Especially if it creeps in gear or hard shifting even if the idle does go down.Ebs clutches have washer to replace and have to be aligned with the rear clutch to keep this from happening.Here's a good post on this.https://atvconnection.com/forums/pol...-creeping.html