General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Help me choose, please

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 08:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me choose, please

Hi, everyone
I'm thinking to get a quad for property maintenance.
I have a 700 foot long, steep, winding, gravel driveway which I want to be able to plow and sand (I'm in VT).
In the Summer, I would like to be able to mow with it (tow-behind?) as well as haul cut-down trees and rounds.

Would like to go used to save some $$. Would a quad work for my purpose and if so, what would be a good way to go, in terms of CC?

Quite a few used 4x4s out there in the 450-500cc range.

Thanks!

Old 12-20-2016, 10:24 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

While a quad will work for what you want you may want to check the price of the extra attachments u want Plow, sander, pull behind mower. Iv seen some of those pull behind mowers and they were not cheap. That 700 foot driveway is a long one. You may be better off to get a purpose built machine like a smaller tractor that is built for the task. You may be able to find a old 70 or 80's pickup with a blade for cheap and just keep it as a dedicated driveway machine. Im my area iv seen them for like $500 not road worthy but the darn things run forever as long as you don't fall through the floor.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Zrock
While a quad will work for what you want you may want to check the price of the extra attachments u want Plow, sander, pull behind mower. Iv seen some of those pull behind mowers and they were not cheap. That 700 foot driveway is a long one. You may be better off to get a purpose built machine like a smaller tractor that is built for the task. You may be able to find a old 70 or 80's pickup with a blade for cheap and just keep it as a dedicated driveway machine. Im my area iv seen them for like $500 not road worthy but the darn things run forever as long as you don't fall through the floor.
Makes sense. I saw nearly new quads with plows for ~4k, but mower attachments are definitely big money.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

The worst thing that you can do for a quad is let it set. I have 2 older Arctic Cats, but I drive em at least 1 time a week.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Zrock
You may be better off to get a purpose built machine like a smaller tractor that is built for the task. You may be able to find a old 70 or 80's pickup with a blade for cheap and just keep it as a dedicated driveway machine.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

Sums it up why I would favor a work and play quad.

If you do go the quad route OP, I would go with 500CC or larger, 2x4 with 4x4 option and a blade of 60" or slightly smaller.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:48 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRocket204
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

Sums it up why I would favor a work and play quad.

If you do go the quad route OP, I would go with 500CC or larger, 2x4 with 4x4 option and a blade of 60" or slightly smaller.
Work and play is fun but i think it would get old real quick plowing a 700ft driveway