General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

04 yamaha warrior

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 06:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 yamaha warrior

OK I have a 2004 warrior. IssueSpam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word when throttle is pressed it sputters and makes a loud bang/backfire type noise.the guy it was purchased from said it needed a new needle. So I ordered a whole new carb. Still was doing the same thing. A forum said about the timing. I pulled cover off and the stator was on T and the timing gear was dead on. I did notice oil inside the stator. Is there supposed to be oil USSR the stator and pick-up area. And does anyone know a solution to the bang/backfire when throttled. Quad has new carb, new plug, fresh oil, fresh gas, timing chain is right.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:46 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Was the motor TCD on the compression stroke when you checked the timing and not the exhaust stroke? Checked the carb for vacuum leaks? Also have u checked compression since im assuming its a 2 stroke it may be time for a rebuild.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Tcd? It's a 4 stroke motor. The boot on the intake looks fine and the air inlet side as well. This is a 2004 warrior. Should oil be in the stator and pick up?

Old 12-24-2016, 09:57 AM
Super Quad Patrol

top dead center... if the timing was messed up and set on a exhaust stroke instead of compression timing will be way out of wack.. Looking for vacuum leaks sometimes is impossible. Get some carb cleaner or something and spray the areas down. I use a propane torch to find the leaks and just let the propane flow. A little oil is fine in their

Old 12-24-2016, 10:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm not sure a about the compression test and things of that nature. It may be time to take it to the shop. And the propane torch testing I'm not to sure about. But I will do a thorough check for a leak. Could it be possible the plugs not getting enough spark?

Old 12-25-2016, 08:58 AM
Super Quad Patrol

ya sounds like your not familiar or comfortable working on your machine. Take it to a shop or a good back yard mechanic. You could cause yourself more issues

Old 01-03-2017, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Your crankshaft is 180 degrees off. Timing chain needs to be jumped off, crankshaft spun and the camshaft spun. I had to do the same thing with my 04 warrior when I got it. Guy put a new crank in, new camshaft, new piston and rings, new top end, but didn't know how to time the engine.
Good luck!!