General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Rhino vs. Ranger for disabled person.... Please reply.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rhino vs. Ranger for disabled person.... Please reply.

I'd be interested in a story from someone who is physically challenged who has bought one of the RTV/UTV vehicles. I believe it would be a great article and service for others in similar situations. We pay well. Anyone interested in tackling a story please don't post here, instead please email dbeck@atving.com

Old 09-30-2005, 02:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

have you considered a honda pilot or odessey - when my bud shattered ( I mean shattered) his leg - he bought a odessey and goes anywhere we go - they are as wide as most atv's - we've been to dunes and trails w/ no problem - another guy we sometimes ride with has the pilot ( he lost a leg) - and loves it - - -

Old 10-02-2005, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: number8redrider
have you considered a honda pilot or odessey - when my bud shattered ( I mean shattered) his leg - he bought a odessey and goes anywhere we go - they are as wide as most atv's - we've been to dunes and trails w/ no problem - another guy we sometimes ride with has the pilot ( he lost a leg) - and loves it - - -
are you stuck in the 80's? lol

the ranger has much more power, much smoother ride.
the 4x4 system is alot easyer to use, on demand.
faster stock, faster with mods.
if yopu guys could get your hand on a dirt wheels april 2005 they have a shoot-out between the rino and ranger 700XP.

IMO the ranger 500 4x4, 500EFI6X6,or the XP700EFI are all very very nice side-by-sides.

Old 10-03-2005, 04:48 AM
Trailblazer

I just bought a 06 Yamaha Rhino SE & I'm confined to a wheelchair after losing both by left arm & leg, my right leg was seriously damaged as well. So I'm basically a torso with one good arm & a leg working at about 25%. I was a mechanic all my adult life & instructed at motorcycle mechanics institute for a while before being hit by a car while riding my motorcycle, doing the damage I described. 366 days in the hospital, I still need to ride.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: prowrench
I just bought a 06 Yamaha Rhino SE & I'm confined to a wheelchair after losing both by left arm & leg, my right leg was seriously damaged as well. So I'm basically a torso with one good arm & a leg working at about 25%. I was a mechanic all my adult life & instructed at motorcycle mechanics institute for a while before being hit by a car while riding my motorcycle, doing the damage I described. 366 days in the hospital, I still need to ride.
sorry to hear that, when ever my dad drives behind motorcycles he stays an extra 200 feet away.
he says that there so lite and they can slow down so quick if your not paying atention you could run them right over.

some people should not be aloud on the road....... thats why i most likly will be in a F-250 insted of on a 929RR....
unless gas realy goes up tp $8 ........

Old 09-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

What are you guys doing to this poor people??? Do not tell them to get a Rhino, they will get injured even MORE. ANything but a Rhino. The Rhinos tipp over and cause people to loose limbs and it even kills them.
www.yamaha-rhino-information.com

Old 09-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: johnsand

What are you guys doing to this poor people??? Do not tell them to get a Rhino, they will get injured even MORE. ANything but a Rhino. The Rhinos tipp over and cause people to loose limbs and it even kills them.

www.yamaha-rhino-information.com</end quote></div>

This could be the most retarded, bogus and irresponsible post in the history of OHV forums. Everything can tip and roll when not operated correctly. People need to grow a spine and accept responsibility for their own actions. The Rhino is no more likely to roll than any other SideXSide and they are not for crybabies.
If you scroll up a few posts you will see the situation I'm in, I got this way after being hit by an illegal immigrant while riding my motorcycle, a Yamaha. You cant sue an illegal immigrant and I could have done what so many boneheads do and look for someone else to blame and sue the manufacturer in an attempt to make a fast buck. And they might actually get something through this dishonest extortion but the money they steal wont come from Yamaha, it will come from honest responsible riders through higher priced machines, parts and service on every model, not just side x sides. So sleep well tonight after suggesting fraud.

If I offended anyone OTHER than the guy that posted that stupid propaganda, I apologize. I just despise someone hiding behind a computer monitor spreading lies about a machine that has helped many disabled riders including myself regain a very important part of their life that was missing.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

You did NOT offend me. I just did not want you to get hurt again. Hey, if you like being disabled....then keep driving a Yamaha Rhino. They will only add to the complexity of your condition.
I am NOT hiding behind a computer.....tell me where you live and I will personally come talk to you like I have all the local new media here in Ohio.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:14 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: johnsand

I am NOT hiding behind a computer.....tell me where you live and I will personally come talk to you like.</end quote></div>

Lets just demonstrate once and for all who is honest, sincere and not full of BS.
602 Francis Street, Saint Joseph, MO. 64501

I know you won't show up but hopefully you will stop this behavior. I'll be here another 6 years until my Daughter graduates high school and goes off to ASU. Then I'll move back home to AZ. so come on down!

Look if there is any truth to your story that your son was killed in a Rhino then that is very unfortunate. But the fault lies with the operator that failed to control the machine. Or if you were struck by another vehicle the fault is likely theirs.

The Rhino is nothing short of phenomenal, 6 years into production and it has not had any major changes. a slightly updated engine and some plastic half doors. It's still the same length, width, height and has only gained a few pounds but it's basically exactly the same yet still out sells every other brand COMBINED. These are facts that are easily verified not just my opinion. How can so many people be wrong? How can such a "dangerous" machine continue to sell in record numbers year after year even with faster better handling machines available? Because it does what it was designed to do very well and is extremely safe when operated correctly. It was NEVER intended to be used to rip around corners at high speeds or handle like a car.
The problems are as simple as this. People ASSUME it will drive like a car because it has automotive type controls. They jump in or let someone else do so that is not familiar with how a machine like this with a solid drive axle and high ground clearance handles and they turn to sharply at excessive speeds and naturally they roll the machine due to their own mistakes. They don't wear the REQUIRED safety gear which amplifies the problem immensely.
There is no mystery, no smoking gun, no cover up and most of all no changes to one of the safest, highly capable, most successful machines to ever hit the market. I thank God and Yamaha for the freedom my Rhino has given me.
I could go on and on but with one arm and poor typing skills I have had enough, besides I doubt the Lord himself could make you see who is truly to blame.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

Prowrench,

I agree with everything you said. I have had my Rhino more than two years and the only time it ever came close to tipping over was when the ground collapsed under me near a ditch. If I had been on an ATV, which I do own, I would have been thrown off. I do not "baby" my Rhino, but do drive it responsibly. My grown sons have driven it fairly aggressively and neither have had problems. ANY machine will roll over. My 4X4 pickup has WARNING signs on the visors telling of possible roll overs.

I too have heard of these "slow speed roll overs", but they defy the laws of physics. Yes, you can make them less stable with taller tires and lift kits, but even then they will not tip over without warning or being driven aggressively. These things are great, all makes, and I am seeing more and more of them all the time.

Quick Reply: Rhino vs. Ranger for disabled person.... Please reply.