Guns and Ammo, Optics, Accessories Discussions on guns and ammo, optics, and accessories.

Help with new rifle

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with new rifle

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CaptainQuint

for bolt guns I prefer the old school national match service slings.

Midway sling

Turner Sling

Proper use of a sling seems to be becoming a lost art. People seem to rely on shooting sticks or bipods now.</end quote></div>

Thanks for the links. Gonna check out that Turner site. I couldn't get it to load til just now.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Help with new rifle

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CaptainQuint

for bolt guns I prefer the old school national match service slings.

Turner Sling

Proper use of a sling seems to be becoming a lost art. People seem to rely on shooting sticks or bipods now.</end quote></div>

I like this one.

Thanks. What length would you recommend? The shortest..longest?

Old 04-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Trailblazer

I have owned and hunted with a Browning Stainless Stalker for over 20 years. Killed many elk and whitetail, as well as Alaskan moose and caribou. Here's my .02: Talk to some one that has a rifle that you are interested in sp. Savage (I've heard great accuracy on these) buy when you talk to them ask about the recoil. My first .338 was a ruger mdl77. It kicked like a bay mule, at the time I was young and tough and took the abuse. A few years later afriend of mine picked up a Browning and after I shot it I went straight down to the gun shop and traded my Ruger for a new Browning. Like it or not a .338 or a .375 is going to kick. If you have any problems with that look at a lighter caliber.

The .338 works great on all of the game you mentioned, but stick to premium bullets (grand slams, partitions, etc) if you don't want to ruin the front half of your game. I use 225gr Nosler Partitions exclusively for continental game and 250grs for Alaska. I roll my own and I can damb near cut meat to the hole. I've seen others use lesser bullets and it was absolutely ugly with bloodshot.

Just my .02

Old 04-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by WFOIdaho
Like it or not a .338 or a .375 is going to kick. If you have any problems with that look at a lighter caliber.

The .338 works great on all of the game you mentioned, but stick to premium bullets (grand slams, partitions, etc) if you don't want to ruin the front half of your game. I use 225gr Nosler Partitions exclusively for continental game and 250grs for Alaska. I roll my own and I can damb near cut meat to the hole. I've seen others use lesser bullets and it was absolutely ugly with bloodshot.

Just my .02
Ya, I did take a step down to a 300 win mag. That bullet you mentioned has some pretty good balistics if I remember correctly. Thanks!~

Old 04-02-2009, 06:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use factory load (norma) nosler partition in my 300 Weatherby(150 gr) and have taken animals up to 500yds,with no real damage to the meat,especially if you put the bullet in the base of the neck.The boss,also lets me up load (bullet weight) without having to re sight it in,great gadget. Model 70 Winchester Classic Laredo.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, its almost done.

Still haven't decided on a sling yet. Questioning whether a military sling would be the best sling for hunting purposes?

Old 04-03-2009, 02:55 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 19TankHead60
Questioning whether a military sling would be the best sling for hunting purposes?
It would be fine. Especially if you learn how to use it correctly. Learn to use the sling correctly and you can dispense with bi-pods, shooting sticks etc.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

Well I've decided on one thing at least. It's gonna be leather. I've also been looking at these. http://montanagunslings.com/ and http://www.murraycustomleather.com/slings.htm. I feel like a kid in a candy store. And eventhoughg my co-worker doesn't recommend it I went ahead and ordered the Lucas bore guide. He calls it snake oil. I guess there' one born every minute and I'm one of em.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

i owned a savage one of the most accurate i ve ever had

Old 04-16-2009, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

Done!

Quick Reply: Help with new rifle