Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Spark problems - can't find stator- 86 Fourtrax 350

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 01:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark problems - can't find stator- 86 Fourtrax 350

I've got an 86 Fourtrax 350 that - long story short - needs a new stator.

Every one I've ordered is the WRONG ONE. I'm sending my THIRD stator back. Can anyone help me get the right part for this thing???

DZZY helped me immensely with an article to another user (http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...keyword2=spark) on testing the unit. I had one of the main screws to back out of the flywheel and lodge into the excitor coils on the stator & short them out. Every stator I've been sent does not have the extra excitor coils, but are just the typical stator coils.

Have they changed something? I'm assuming I've got the wrong part, mainly since it doesn't look right, and it doesn't work. I guess it's possible that something that don't look right COULD work, and perhaps I blew out my CDI or something else when the stator went.

DZZY - if you're out there, based on your article on this machine in the past, I'm guessing you could answer my question. I was impressed with your knowlege of the bike.

Anyone who can help, I'd appreciate it greatly.

Old 04-07-2004, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well TechDog I'll try. The ignition system on the TRX350 changed. In 87 they had 2 models the standard and the Foreman. The standard 87 model I think is the same as yours (AC-CDI). But the Foreman not, it is a DC-CDI. Also I think there were two suppliers used for the parts, ND and Mitsuba. The mfg. should have left a mark somewhere on the stator and flywheel. I think, but I'm not positive, you can interchange stators from the two manufacters, but you can't interchange the AC-CDI stator for the DC-CDI stator. Knowsalot might be helpful here too.

Old 04-07-2004, 11:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your willingness to help. I can't seem to find anyone in the parts industry that can help on this one.

To answer your questions: The original stator only had one mark on it: 1RY. That's it. I checked the connectors & all.
The flywheel had this on it: 032000-4510 9EY ND JAPAN.

I was thinking NipponDenso? The N and the D above were connected - the right line on the N was the left line on the D like a Nippon Denso logo. But, not sure.

The sending unit had TEL on it. These are the only markings I can find.

I've posted photos of both units on my site so you can compare them visually. click here

I guess what I'm wondering is if I'm getting sent 87 parts. I did a part search on the site I bought it from and they had the same part number for an 87. But, everywhere I go seems to tell me that I've got the right part - they all have this part number listed for an 86. The number on the box from Honda is right, according to the charts. But, my bike still has the model & year stamped right on the front of the frame.

My next question is this: IF these units are the same other than the spark excitor, is there a way to bypass the need for the excitor? I know just enough in this area to really screw something up, so I want to ask first.

Once again, I want to thank you men for your time. I've been grounded for 10 weeks at this point. My boys want to ride. My WIFE wants to ride. I can't ride.

Old 04-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

UMM....may I ask Y your grounded?...Please say its the bike broken [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-07-2004, 12:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Good question-
I mean I'm "grounded" in the sense that I can't fly- my wings have been taken. I'm off the trail.

I guess I could get on my wife's little Suzuki, but it'll stick me on wet concrete. I want my beast back!

Old 04-07-2004, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

You are getting stators for a newer 87 Foreman with the DC-CDI ignition. In this type of system, the main power source for ignition is the battery. The yellow wire is an assist in case of low battery voltage the ignition is still operable. You need a stator for an 86 or 87 standard with an AC-CDI, where the power source for ignition is the source coils hooked to the black\red wire. Again they are NOT interchangable. The main IDing difference between the 87 standard and Foreman is the LED type fuel gauge only the Foreman model has. The ND does indicate it is an Nippondenso sourced ignition. I don't know what the deal is with your source for parts but I will see if I can get you the right part number at work tomorrow.

Old 04-07-2004, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks a million. The part that I have that don't work is Honda 311120-HA7-651. The fische on powersportspro.com and on bikebandit.com both show this same part, but it IS the same as the 87. They don't show another one for an 86. If you could find a number, that would be gold.

Thanks again for your help. If I can ever help you with a computer, I'm here.

jk

Old 04-08-2004, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Ah..the number is indeed your problem. The part number for the stator you need is 31120-HA7-671. The part number you have been ordering is for the 87 TRX350 Foreman model, or so my parts guy tells me.

Old 04-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

You're a life-saver. Thanks a million.

Old 04-27-2004, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

DZZY - FINALLY got the part. Rode it up & down the alley tonight - had all the dogs barking.

Thanks a million for your help. Now I've got to fight Honda to take back their wrong part - they still do not believe me that the fische is wrong.

jk

Quick Reply: Spark problems - can't find stator- 86 Fourtrax 350