Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda vs Chinese made ATVs

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda vs Chinese made ATVs

Which is better? Honda or Chinese made? What if price is a factor in what you buy?
Thanks

Old 01-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

Honda of course. But price is always a factor! Some people have no problems with the chinese stuff, others have nothing but problems. People say chinese is fine, as long as you like to wrench on them alot.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just finished totaly cleaning and tuning a Kazuma 110, it is my nephew's. I guess it depends on who its for. I cant speak for the bigger quads, but if it for a kid the chinese ones are not bad. If they out grow them, which they will, you are not out so much money. It seems to me the small quads even from honda, suzuki, etc. are hard to get rid of. As for the the Kazuma it is a three speed with reverse, and auto clutch. Like I said all in all not a bad little bike, and the parts are getting easier to find. They are simple to work on, and inexpensive to buy. Hope this helps.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:11 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Learn from this person's mistake! <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.atvconnection.com/messageview.cfm/catid/17/threadid/534100
">http://forums.atvconnection.co...threadid/534100
</a>

All my friend's who have bought off-brands have lived to regret it! After 1 year, none of them (6 quads from a variety of different manufacturers!) are running anymore! Absolutely wasted money.....

Old 01-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Economics 101.....

I'd rather buy a blown up Honda then a brand new Chinese made junk pile.......

The Japanese like to make high quality .... the Chinese like to make high quantity....... it is as simple as that .....

Japan makes great electronics, great cars, great ATVs..... pretty much everything they make is great and we in the USA are a living history of it since the Japanese invasion of consumer goods.

The Japanese knew they had to make great things if they were going to take money out of American's pockets, since America was used to high quality American Made goods. The Japanese got so darn good at it that they started dominating entire consumer markets in the USA, and they still are today.

China is making money on us because American consumers have become stupid (no offense to anyone and this is directed a no one in particular) they have realized that Chinese made goods are cheaper, and on the surface the quality seems decent enough. And in many markets the product is decent enough. A lot of decent Chinese made goods have flooded the US market and when American or Japanese companies are in charge of selling these goods, and have final say over quality and control, the products are decent enough.

An example of this would be the parts on any Honda ATV that say "made in China". These parts are made in China, but it is Honda that gets final inspection of the product. It is Honda that controls the ATV which is more than the sum of it's parts.

What people have to understand is that the Chinese make toys. They look at the ATV as a toy, to be played with. I would not even be surprised to learn that some of these ATV are actually from toy companies. Japanese and other American, Canadian, Austrian or what have you, treat ATVs as machines, in most cases high-tech racing machines that are giving the user the power to take his or her life into their own hands. They are treated every bit as serious transportation no different than a truck, car, plane, motorcycle or boat.

The Chinese to this point are still treating them as toys, bicycles with engine......and that is the gist of the problem. And the general theme with most every "toy" is that they are totally disposable. Toys have a short life-span in comparison to cars or motorcycles. A kid plays with a toy, and eventually gets tired of and and leaves it to rot. A man buys a motorcycle and in cases passes it down to a child or grandchild. It is something that can out-live you should you choose to make that happen.

When a toy breaks you throw it away...... and this is exactly what we see with these Chinese ATVs. They are toys. Which is why in some cases people get away with buying them for young children. But you'd have to be bloody daft to want to put any serious kid on one. The last thing I want my kid to think is that his ATV is a toy that breaks and then has to be thrown away........I want him to be able to out-grow his ATV by a good margin, and be able to have say in his next purchase.....I don't want him/her to no be able to ride for some stupid reason. I've heard now three people in the last month who have these Chinese ATVs and there apparently is no way to tighten the chain. One of them was told by the selling dealer to take a link out.....LOL that is crazy.

People act like these Chinese ATVs are such great deals. But I've looked at the prices and people are crazy. It is cheaper to buy a used Honda by far. Why have people become so scared of buying used? I keep hearing this argument that Chinese ATVs are OK if you know how to wrench. This is a weak argument because if you can wrench, why can't you wrench on a used Honda or Suzuki? It is easier to wrench when you can buy replacement parts anywhere anytime. I see a lot of quality used ATVs out there, and for the most part these things are cheap enough to fix when they do break.

ATVs are investments. Economically a used Honda will still be worth something, used twice or three times, or totally destroyed. I know a guy who just sold a 400ex for $900. Pretty much a frame with some parts hanging off it. He thinks it runs but he's not sure, and the guy who bought it did not care. He was only interested in the frame and engine block, and the box or random parts that came off it. Try getting anything for a Chinese ATV 10 minutes after to take it off the truck........

Until the Chinese learn the difference between a toy and an ATV they are a waste of money and nothing more.

The Chinese just don't have a record of producing complex quality goods.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Range Rover

You get what you pay for plain and simple. Doesn't matter what it is. If it seems too good to be true, it almost always is.

Go with Honda if you can, you won't be sorry. A million plus Rancher owners can't be wrong. Maybe someday Chinese quality will improve but for right now it's a numbers game.

But.....if you do decide to purchase a chinese made atv, make sure you have a source for replacement parts unless you're handy enough to make your own.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:14 PM
Trailblazer

I don't agree with the majority of the novel posted above.
If you are buying for a kid, to teach him life long lasting lessons, buy him a chinese atv, and I assure you he will :
1) have fun on it,
2) learn how to fix atv's (which can come in handy later in life when the carb on his honda keeps fouling or the electrical system in his polaris keeps grounding out)
3) learn that Chinese made stuff is not the greatest quality(but is still fun to ride and fix),
4) Most of all......have more fun,
5) and last but not least, he will have fun.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you everyone who replied. I appreciate the input. I have a lot to think about, thanks again. Have a great day!

Old 01-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dUrTwErX dEsIgNs BMX
I don't agree with the majority of the novel posted above.
If you are buying for a kid, to teach him life long lasting lessons, buy him a chinese atv, and I assure you he will :
1) have fun on it,
2) learn how to fix atv's (which can come in handy later in life when the carb on his honda keeps fouling or the electrical system in his polaris keeps grounding out)
3) learn that Chinese made stuff is not the greatest quality(but is still fun to ride and fix),
4) Most of all......have more fun,
5) and last but not least, he will have fun.</end quote></div>

Even if you don't agree with the above post, if you buy a Chinese atv online, from a sports store, auto parts store or wherever, and it breaks, where do you buy parts?
Learn how to fix it? What if you need a piston? Rings? Bearings and seals? Even a new chain or spockets!
You certainly won't find your local Chinese atv parts dealer down the street or even in the next town, let alone online.
And that autoparts store you bought it from? Guaranteed they don't carry and can't even get, parts for it.
Even trying to buy replacement parts for it would be throwing good money after bad!

Old 01-14-2008, 05:08 PM
Range Rover

I was looking into these off brands. As I hate to take a loan out on something I can wreck easily. So Looking for a quad I could pay cash for left only older honda's or off brands. So I went with an old honda. At least you get proven reliability and endless after market and factory parts availability. These new off brands still can't match that.

Quick Reply: Honda vs Chinese made ATVs