Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Leaking Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Fuel

I need help. I just bought a 2004 Recon and know very little about them. I have ordered a manual, but have not received it as of yet.

Last night, after riding a couple of laps around our property, I parked the Recon in the garage and began smelling fuel.

After investigating, I can see that the fuel is leaking from a piece of tubing that is connected to the bottom of the carb. I tried cutting off the fuel flow at the tank, but not sure if that valve is even working. Nothing that I did would stop the fuel from dripping from the tubing. I have been parking the Recon in the garage each night and had not had any drips of anything before now.

Can someone advise as to what might be going on?

Thanks

Old 10-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leaking Fuel

The valve on the tank should cut off the fuel to the carburator. There are 3 different positions, off, on, and reserve. Off is when the pointer is in the horizontal position.

Sounds like the float in the carb is stuck open. Sometimes they get a bit of grit under the needle, and it can't close, so it leaks out the overflow tube. Usually, I go out and land a few big jumps, and that jars it free. If not, you need to do a carb cleaning and make sure the float is properly adjusted.

When you turn off the fuel valve, it takes a little time to clear out the lines and carb bowl. So, turn the valve off outside, and let the carb drain out there, before you bring it into the garage, and that should help with the gas smell....

Old 10-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Leaking Fuel

Thanks for the reply reconranger......can you tell me it the piece of tubing from the bottom of the carb is an overflow or is it supposed to be attached somewhere?

Old 10-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leaking Fuel

Also, there is a screw at the bottom of the carb. It is the float bowl drain. Open it for a few seconds, and that will clear out the fuel from the bottom of the bowl. Might be some grit and/or some water in there, and that will help clear it out and prevent more future problems.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default Leaking Fuel

The tube connects to the bottom of the carburator and connects to nothing on the bottom.

You should probably have your carb profesionally cleaned if the needle valve is sticking.

Turn the fuel off and tap the carburator with the rubber end of a screwdriver and the needle valve may jar loose and close properly. Like mentioned earlier turn off the fuel and wait, the overflow line has to drain which may take a minuite.