2015 Rubicon; Any Interest?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Specta
my mistake Honda, AC and Polaris
I'm surprised that Can-Am hasn't made one yet. They love competing with Polaris.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
Not yet, neither does Yamaha either. I guess Suzuki is never even going to make a side by side.
I thought a friend had told me the other day that Suzuki has a new SxS - a six passenger that's about the same size as a small school bus - I'll ask him again.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a video of one for sale at a dealer on YouTube. Didn't post it because i didn't know about "advertising". Foot shift.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Specta
I thought a friend had told me the other day that Suzuki has a new SxS - a six passenger that's about the same size as a small school bus - I'll ask him again.
The new school bus is a Yamaha and not a Suzuki.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

This should get the result close to the top. Google or other search all the text between the dashes including the quotes but not the dashes. - "2015 rubicon 500 eps" site:youtube.com - There, didn't link to the ad directly .

Old 10-18-2014, 03:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dealer that's about 150 miles away says "here now" next to one on their website and it didn't before, so in addition to what I posted before, there should be some around now for people to look at I'd think. Closest dealer is 70 miles away, they don't have a website, and I won't get there any time soon to look. They had a leftover '14 without power steering before, but at the time it was near retail price. I'd consider it too though if still there, rear brake is the only thing important that I don't care for on it, but not a deal breaker, depends if they'll deal. By the time I get to town, they'll have more in and some initial thoughts as well. They're Yamaha too but not really interested in them when I'd lose functionality that I find favorable plus the whole acting like a snowmobile thing I experienced.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by SManZ
Hmm...so the last few rides I've been on have been kind of an eye opener for me in regards to transmission and my stubborness about manual shift.

Most of the trails at my local spot are very rocky...I'm either crawling in first or trotting along in 2nd. There are two other main trails that are much smoother and I'm holding 3rd or 4th on those. But really, I don't shift all that much. Certainly not enough to make it any more fun.

In fact I feel like a CVT would be a big advantage. I often feel like I've got a choice between lugging/racing the engine or holding a speed thats a bit over/under what I want. A CVT that performs well at any speed seems like a sell to me.

This is a welcome revelation...it opens up a whole lot of options for the 2nd quad in the spring. If it wasn't for the transmission thing I was hung up on I'd probably have gotten into a Yamaha earlier.
Hehe...so I was just poking around on the web one day and found two things that just made it happen. 0% for 6mo from Yamaha. Romney Cycles in Romney WV with a killer deal on closeout 2014s.

I talked the fiancee into this scam I conjured up that 0% for 6mo is just like waiting until Spring to buy a 2nd new ATV. She bit and I ended up with a 2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 power steering for $8150 OTD.

The difference in ride was instantly noticeable. It floats over rocks without a fuss. The additional ground clearance is a huge advantage on the local trails. 4WD + diff lock is amazing. Low range is the new to me feature that I use the most.

And the funniest thing to me is I love the CVT. After all my stalwart whining about manual shift, I love love love the transmission on the Yamaha.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SManZ
Hehe...so I was just poking around on the web one day and found two things that just made it happen. 0% for 6mo from Yamaha. Romney Cycles in Romney WV with a killer deal on closeout 2014s.

I talked the fiancee into this scam I conjured up that 0% for 6mo is just like waiting until Spring to buy a 2nd new ATV. She bit and I ended up with a 2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 power steering for $8150 OTD.

The difference in ride was instantly noticeable. It floats over rocks without a fuss. The additional ground clearance is a huge advantage on the local trails. 4WD + diff lock is amazing. Low range is the new to me feature that I use the most.

And the funniest thing to me is I love the CVT. After all my stalwart whining about manual shift, I love love love the transmission on the Yamaha.
Congratulations! Grizzly is a great quad. As much as I've enjoyed manually shifting semi-automatics and automatics I have to say I love the CVT. The only thing you don't want to do for a long time is run a CVT in high gear through anything that's slow going like large rocks, snow and mud, and when pulling a heavy load. That can prematurely burn the belt.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:50 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

its videos like this that really shows what big power can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxTvMaJBT3c#t=327

Its classic Polaris from sounding like crap when put in gear, to having class leading suspension and power

Old 11-18-2014, 12:51 AM
Trailblazer

Let me state first off that I've put lots of miles and hours on Hondas over the years. I think they are great quads if you don't ride for the joy of riding. If you want an atv just for work, and you don't live to ride, they are a good choice. If that's you, great. Buy a Honda and use it. I don't have any problem with those Honda people.
What I just can't understand are the Honda fans who turn a blind eye to the fact that Honda has fallen behind in technology, innovation, and pure riding pleasure, and instead, try to justify why they prefer inferiority and argue for it like it were a virtue.
In other words, I won't ever argue with a Honda guy if he bought his Honda for ranch work and brags it up for that purpose. But the guy that buys a Honda and is out on the trails telling me how his 28 hp, drum brake using, manual shift, 3x4 machine is "superior" is fooling no one but himself!

An "All Terrain Vehicle" needs to be all terrain. That means snow. That means rock fields. That means mud. That means sand. That means steep hills. That means high and low elevations. Those things add up to the fact that you have to have TRUE 4x4 with a locker. You must also have some muscle. Sand, mud, snow, and high elevations are horse killers. You will also need good brakes that don't fade, and you need a tranny that can keep up with the torque and keep the engine in it's best powerband.

If Honda were to come out with a modern machine that met all the above criteria (meaning a 750cc Vtwin, with ps, fi, wet rear brakes, diff lock, and a wet clutch CVT) you know darn well that every Honda owner in the world would be beating down the doors of the closest dealership to buy one, and then immediately trumpeting to everyone in the industry the re-domination of Honda once again! And they would be right! And it would convert a bunch of hangers-on to that old fashioned, expensive repair, dog-slow Hondamatic transmission into CVT appreciators! Honestly folks, if you think your manual can do things that a CVT can't, you really need to ride a machine with CVT and find out.
I pull a mower behind my CVT atv to mow about 15 acres of lawn. I can keep the speed at a constant 4 mph with ease for hours and hours and hours. I can also use it to pick up trash along the fencelines, mend fences, and do trail maintenance. I've logged thousands and thousands of hours and miles on CVT's without so much as one hiccup. Not one. And if I ever was to have a problem, it's about $100 for a new belt vs. what, a couple grand for a new Hondamatic? Also, I can modify and tune my CVT to my riding preferences all I want. I can change things for optimum customization season to season, or purpose. Can't do that with a manual.
So what's my point? If you're going to buy one machine for everything, why not buy something that can do the chores AND go out and rip down the trails? Sure its nice to have a mule to plow with, but what if that mule could run with the best thoroughbred at the Kentucky Derby too? Honda could do it, and they could do it well. Maybe better than anyone else. All we have to do is get that second kind of Honda fan to quit appreciating mediocrity and demand something better!

Quick Reply: 2015 Rubicon; Any Interest?