Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Saw the Rincon today! Pretty nice but.................

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trail quads don't need low range, work quads need low range, mud quads need low range. The Honda Rincon is a trail machine.

Old 08-20-2002, 11:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

bbertram,

Great! What happens when you find a nasty mud hole out on the trail and you can't get a good run at it to go through? Go around or just push that little tranny selector into low?

I think Honda may have missed the boat by leaving off the low range. Any more comments?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-20-2002, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be willing to bet if you took 100 K650s, G660s, P700s, 100 Rubicons, and 100 Rincons, took them out and rode them hard, you would have more belt failures than Honda automatic transmissions. Yep, the Honda autos would cost more to fix, but I bet fewer would get towed back.

Some people dislike all the technology goint into the new ATV's. I happen to think it's great. Technology does not reduce reliability, it just makes it tougher to repair in the field. They run better, produce more power, ride better, steer better, last longer, and the list goes on. I look forward to fuel injection although I have a hard time thinking my Rubicon could run any better than is does. We run from 4000 ft to 11500 ft in the same day all the time and it always runs fine.

The Rincon is not the answer for everyone and is not the top in all the riding catagories. I do feel that the niche in the market Honda has decided to go after, it will take other ATV manufactures years to ever catch up.

I see in signatures that alot of riders have installed thousands of dollars of "up-grades" to their ATVs. Why didn't they buy something else. The ones they bought obviously didn't meet their needs or they would not have had to add all those accessories. I think a Ricon would be an excellent place to start.

Have a great day riding. Headed for the Piaute Trails in southern Utah tomorrow, can't wait.

Old 08-20-2002, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

Rincon

Have you seen the P650 and Rincon race?
I've seen the Rincon get beat by a P650 (both stock) Now I realize the results may vary....But from what I have seen is to the contrary of what your claiming.

Old 08-20-2002, 12:15 PM
Range Rover

Thanks RatbagDiesel,

I considered the P650 and a Rubicon. What made the difference was the IRS, the cooling system, the trans and the styling.

I'm not concerned about the lack of low range, I feel the ability to keep it in first gear and keeping the engine in it's power band is good enough. My other ATV is a Honda 300 4x4 four trax with no low range and I've been through some pretty nasty stuff with it. I have three friends that own prairies and we did a muddy ride this spring and I can't recall them ever dropping it in low. The wheels always turned, the only problem was getting high centered and low wouldn't have made any difference.

Old 08-20-2002, 12:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Specta,

You may have something there. I agree, in that if you took the various quads out and ran them hard, you might have more belt failures than Honda tranny failures but, which will be the least expensive to repair once the machine ( any machine ) is out of warranty? As for the hydraulic tranny in the Rincon, it may just prove to be the best on the market but, I don' t know if I would want to be the first to try it! Again, if the hydraulic tranny is the "next wave" in ATV's why did Honda scrap the tranny in the Rubicon in favor of the completely redesigned tranny in the Rincon? Also, if the hydraulic trannys are "state-of-the-art" why are car companies such as Audi, Saturn and even Honda going to a CVT ( chain driven ) tranny in some of their new cars?

I agree with you in that Honda makes GREAT products but, the RIncon may still require some work to get it right. Also, what about the lack of that low range? Is that an issue to anyone?

Old 08-20-2002, 01:23 PM
Range Rover
Old 08-20-2002, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

<< mud quads need low range >>

Mine don't, my brothers 450 don't, (it doesn't have low) and either does dads 300. all the guys i ride with don't use low, it revs out too quick, and doesn't spin the tires fast enough. i like how you call it a TRAIL machine. well on the trails i ride their mud, rocks,sand,hills, etc. so i think it should be great.

ostie,

i hope you keep us posted about your new ride, and don't listen to the peanut gallery, it's a GREAT quad.

Old 08-20-2002, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

<< I see in signatures that alot of riders have installed thousands of dollars of &quot;up-grades&quot; to their ATVs. Why didn't they buy something else. The ones they bought obviously didn't meet their needs or they would not have had to add all those accessories. I think a Ricon would be an excellent place to start. >>

I totally disagree. What kind of up-grades are you talking about? Does the Rincon come with mud tires? How about a winch? How about a lift kit? How about a nice heavy duty bumper? Hand guards? A gun holder? COUGH-err LOCK-ABLE FRONT DIFFERTENTIAL?!-COUGH

No. It doesn't. So how does that justify your reasoning that people should have just started off with a Rincon? What makes it such an excellent place to start, when it is pretty much no different to the average person than any other ATV in its class?

And as for the tranny in the Rincon. Nice set-up, but I would never want to own one. Not only is the price tag to high for me at this point in my life, I personally want something that I can work on. I don't plan on learning too much about fixing some complicated tranny, if worse comes to worse. But don't get me wrong. I am sure this tranny will be reliable, but of course, like anything else, it CANNOT be 100% reliable. If I were to buy a Rincon, the odds of me having a problem are probably the same as the possibility of me getting struck by lightning. But those odds don't make me want to go stand out in the middle of a field with a Louisville TPX or some type of metal object during a thunderstorm. Nor do I want to own a Rincon, and by some stroke of luck, be one of the only people who actually DOES have a tranny problem or failure.

My $.02

Old 08-20-2002, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

the fact is YOU&quot;RE NEVER SATISFIED with a stock quad!!! we'll always spend money on them, some more than others, but none the less we'll still upgrade

the price tag on the rincon is high now, but why would the dealers lower them when they are allready spoken for fot like the next 3 months.

i remember when the rubicon came out a dealer had over 50 allready spoken for, at full retail, so why not???
give them time they'll come down.

Quick Reply: Saw the Rincon today! Pretty nice but.................