Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

September 12 We find out Honda's sport quad

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 11:16 PM
RIP Dear Friend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

arsonist678,

Did your house get burned down to say something like that?

Chet

Old 08-22-2002, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

i'm 12, so what? you got a problem with that??

you are stupid, or at least you sound like you are. c'dale has a dune quad, but guess what it's not just a dune quad, they make a few quads with different accesories, woods/duning/mx..... the predator has different versions too, not just a dune quad. the bomb is about the only quad that's directed towards duning.

<< Even if dunes wasnt one of the largest marketing area, recreation riding would be, that means woods/and all around fun. So still raptors/z/etc wins over a 400ex, cause there liquid cooled and have reverse and oh ya faster! >>

like i said i would be right behind you on an EX in the woods. you guys give me a good laugh, i can ride my XR250 and keep up with anyone (of my calibre) in the woods on 250 2 strokes. my XR does 120km/h (75mph) i don't go near that fast in the woods. sure my brothers CR250 will smoke my XR in a drag race on the dirt road, but that's not where i ride it (that's boring) soooooooo the power disadvantage that the 400EX has isn't that noticable in the woods, or MX track.

Old 08-22-2002, 12:50 AM
The Facility

OK.....OK

I am not taking sides here, but RINCON isn't like SOME of the 12 year olds in this fourm. He gives good info in nearly all of his posts and I have found that he is as big a buff as any other guy in here. He just gives his opinion like any of us do. I haven't seen any of the ridiculous posts from him that are usually associated with the obnoxious bunch in here.

Old 08-22-2002, 12:57 AM
RIP Dear Friend

Leaping lizards!! LOL

KNOWSALOT,

How far does a leaping lizard leap before september 12 leaps around?

Chet

Old 08-22-2002, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll bet the new Honda sport quad will be a B-L-U-E 400 ex boy, that would be exciting! another new color for the 400ex, but it will be at a reduced price.

Old 08-22-2002, 03:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Don't kid yourself gang. Any chance of Honda developing a large engine Sport ATV (450, etc.) went out the window with the new anti-ATV press going on right now. This is the 80's all over and the new beginning of the end (ala 80's). All manufacturers are going to be gun shy...between this legislation and the Sierra Club, we are in trouble.

Old 08-22-2002, 03:49 AM
Trailblazer

I already told everyone last week what the new Honda was. I don't why everyone is still asking about it. I got my info from my dealer. He wasn't supposed to tell me, but hey, thats what friends do right? The engine from the CRF will never be put into a fourwheeler frame. It is the aircooled XR650 engine. You will all see in just a few weeks.

RAPTORYFM660r,
I have seen it all. I did some searching. How have you managed to be here since July of last year?? You make no sense whatsoever. Good luck in life buddy. I don't know what happened, but I hope it gets better.

Old 08-22-2002, 03:59 AM
Pro Rider

circlip, Don't you know not to listen to a Honda dealer?
Honda won't tell the dealers anything. They treat the dealers like mushrooms, The keep them in the dark &amp; feed them ****!!

Don't even think about messing with Chet (RAPTORYFM660r) He is cool!!
He also picks up a lot of duds from the missile range &amp; knows how to use them!! LMAO!!!
Chet is the man!!

Old 08-22-2002, 08:55 AM
Pro Rider

<< the predator has different versions too, not just a dune quad. the bomb is about the only quad that's directed towards duning. >>

WRONG! Predator isn't offered in different versions....you can just add on the Dune assesories right from the factory....

<< like i said i would be right behind you on an EX in the woods. you guys give me a good laugh, i can ride my XR250 and keep up with anyone (of my calibre) in the woods on 250 2 strokes. my XR does 120km/h (75mph) i don't go near that fast in the woods. sure my brothers CR250 will smoke my XR in a drag race on the dirt road, but that's not where i ride it (that's boring) soooooooo the power disadvantage that the 400EX has isn't that noticable in the woods, or MX track. >>

Wow, pull up the pant legs...it's gettin deep. I had a XR 250 back in the days. I couldn't keep up with a novice rider on a RM 250 in the woods! Just not enough power! I could barely hang with a buddy on a CR 125. Especialy if your XR does 75mph! Your not going to be able to carry the speed through the woods when the bike is geared so low. It must be an XL or you've changed the sprockets.

And on the 400ex staying with a Dale in the woods...not in stock trim! I've done this plenty of times. It doesn't matter if it's real tight or not. The Dale has the advantage with more power coming out of the corners, and faster acceleration in the straight sections...

Old 08-22-2002, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

I can't resist getting in on this...

First, Rincon, you obviously live East of the Rockies and more likely East of the Mississippi. Imagine well over 100,000 people at Glamis on a holiday weekend, 35,000 at Little Sahara, Utaha, tens of thousands at Oregon plus all of the other dune places in the West. There are probably over a MILLION dune riders out here. That's no bull. There are a lot of trail riders too but duning is big around the west. In the sand you see mostly Banshees and Raptors followed by Bombardiers, 400exs and all of the other older 2 strokes. And if like you said, you don't need handling in the sand think again. The huge air that people catch, the u-turns at the top of a 400 foot high dune, flying through the sand at speeds higher than your East Coast highway speed limits, the moguls at the bottoms of the race hills, carving corners through the small dunes and cresting razorbacks sideways that have a sharper pitch than the roof on your outhouse. Trust me, there is skill involved and a good handling quad is a big part of that. You will never encounter this kind of terrain in the &quot;woods and trails&quot; that riders of less powerful machines tout as reigning supreme in. Come out West and weep.

Every other manufacture has stepped up and got into the high performance arena except Honda. Granted the Suzuki Z400 is probably not fastest machine out there but at least it has stepped into the 21st century with liquid cooling and revers and does a very good job of filling out that market segment. In my opinion, the release of the Z400 was the final nail in the 400ex's coffin. Even Polaris - POLARIS - is releasing a reportedly high performacnce machine... P O L A R I S!!!!

Kudos to Yamaha for sticking with the 2 strokes for all of these years when EVERY other manufacture caved in. On top of that they came out with the Raptor a true high performacne 4 stroke. Bombardier has the DS650 another true high performance 4 stroke and a serious dune machine. Canondale too.

So, WHERE'S HONDA in all of this???

Oh, about the Raptor being tippy. Well, I don't think it is tippy but remember saying that if Honda ever sticks a 650 engine in a quad. A 4 stroke engine of that displacement is going to be tall if mounted in the conventional manner - that's just how it is. Let's see if the Honda is tippy too (if Honda ever gets the huevos to do that). If the Raptor was longer you would say it's no good in on the track. If it was wider you'd say it's no good in the trails. I'm not a huge fan of Raptors but I can see why it was designed that way - it is a good all around high performance machine that can easily be made to be wider or longer.

For those of you believing your DEALER, come on. Most of us know more than most of our dealers (with some notable exceptions).

In conclusion, it always goes 2 ways with Honda fanatics. Either the old &quot;I can keep up with any high performance quad in the woods and tight trails on my Honda&quot; line, or &quot;Honda is coming out with a high performance quad any day now so I'll just keep waiting for that and ignore every other manufacturer that already has one&quot;.

Later.

Quick Reply: September 12 We find out Honda's sport quad