Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

Scrambler 500 vs 400ex

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 06:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler 500 vs 400ex

I have the option to buy either a 1999 Polaris Scrambler 500 or a 2004 Honda 400ex. In my mind, the year does not really matter, considering both are in good condition. I will mostly be riding trails but undecided which atv is better. I like the 4x4 option on the scrambler, but also want a sport quad to play around with.

Thank you.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:42 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Honda is a good bit lighter than the Scrambler so it is thrown around a lot easier. Great, reliable trail machine. Personally, I'd only go with the Scrambler if you anticipate slow technical hill climbs (lots of rocks and ledges going uphill), snow, deep ruts, and mud. I've seen some two wheel drive sport quads go places I never thought they would but lean towards the 4wd machines for the riding we have here in New England.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A lot depends on how much you like to shift. The Scrambler, being an auto, is just put it in gear and go. The 400ex has a manual clutch. Some love shifting, some don't. 4x4 is nice to have on the Scrambler. Unfortunately because it is chain drive like most sport quads, ground clearance is only slightly more. So you'll still have to watch your line if there are deep ruts or big rocks on the trail. As Moose said there is about a 200 lb difference in weight too even though the quads are about the same size. You just can't throw your weight around as easily on the heavier Scrambler. If you do get either of them stuck, the lighter 400ex will be easier to muscle out. I once saw a 300ex win a rock climb over 4x4 quads. All the 4x4 machines were crawling up the rock course while the guy in the 300ex hit it hard and fast and bounced his way to the top. Not the safest thing to do but it did it.
Another one you could look at that I bet you would like is a Kawasaki KFX 700. It is fully auto like the Scrambler but is a bit lighter being only 2wd. It has quite a bit more power than the Scrambler as it has a 700cc v twin that was in the Prairie 700. They do tend to cost a bit more than the used Scramblers and 400ex machines but I have seen them locally for around $2000 or so in good condition. It has shaft drive so no chains to ever wear out and that gives it a little more ground clearance as well. Here's some info on it if you're not familiar with the quad http://www.atv.com/specs/kawasaki/sp...ce/detail.html. Its for the 2004 model but for all years it was built they were basically the same. I think the only changes ever made were color options. I actually have thought about buying one myself as a 2nd quad to ride when I go someplace I don't need 4x4 and just want to go fast.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:14 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the forum!