Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

Hello From Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey David,

Official welcome to the forum although I partook in the convo on your other thread. You are actually just south of me from your statement of where you live. There are actually lots of legal areas to go ride OHV in CO but keep in mind most of the high country stuff doesn't open up until late June and even other areas possibly into July depending on the snow season.

If you're not in a rush to purchase, you might want to consider a rental also to get a feel of specific machines. I know of a couple places to rent however I do not know if they rent 2-up ATV machines.

What dealers have you visited?

FYI, there is a very cool and very well used RC airstrip on the south side of Cherry Creek Reservoir. Lots of money in toys there and is cool just to stop by and watch. I'm not into RC but enjoy watching people fly when I've ridden my bike by there in the past.

Like I said, I'm close by you and if you are interested, when summer comes around and you'd like to go do some trails, hit me up as I be happy to meet you somewhere, show you around and hit the trails. Just hope you're not another "Wild" fan that's moved into the area.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:00 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the warm welcome Redrock. I sure appreciate the gracious offer to help a newbie trail ride here in my new state of Colorado. I'm planning on taking you up on your offer next summer.

Hockey is the number one sport in Minnesota. All the kids want to play and develop the interest in it. It is fast and rough. But I'm not a fan as I never played the game.

I plan on visiting dealers soon to carefully look over the Arctic Cat XL, Can Am Max, and Polaris Touring 2 up machines. I've learned Arctic Cat is known for reliability, Can Am is known for Rotax and fit and finish, and Polaris is known for performance and features. I know Polaris best as a company, me being from the Minneapolis area. I guess its 4 to Go, RPM, and G Force as the first dealers I visit.

I wondered where the RC flying park might be in the city. Thanks for the info.

David

Old 12-15-2016, 06:56 PM
Mountain man
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Welcome to the forums. I'm new here too and used to live in Colorado.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Welcome David. I was born and raise in Colorado (Highland ranch) Beautiful state. Good luck in your pursuit.

Mike

Old 12-16-2016, 07:27 PM
Back Country Explorer

Hi mzodarg1. Maybe you have insomnia too judging from your 3 am post. I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping lately. Amazing how tired a guy can get. Won't try ATVing when I'm worn out.

But this Forum is certainly a great way to pass the wee morning hours.

David

Old 12-21-2016, 12:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by dbj216
Hi mzodarg1. Maybe you have insomnia too judging from your 3 am post. I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping lately. Amazing how tired a guy can get. Won't try ATVing when I'm worn out.

But this Forum is certainly a great way to pass the wee morning hours.

David

Lol, Not insomnia but after 35 years of US Army (both active and army civilian) I cant seem to sleep more then 5 hours at a time.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:04 PM
Back Country Explorer

Eventually a person ought to make a decision. So I did. I signed a contract to purchase a Can Am Outlander Max. The advice and suggestions I received here on ATVConnection was very helpful. Thank you.

I wanted objective data on ATV manufacturers and models concerning reliability. I could find none. I did find a lot of rants and raves about each of the different models.

I tried to consider the design attributes of engine torque, transmission, differentials, suspensions, and various systems. Much of this was just marketing fluff. Through ATVConnection, I talked to owners of various models which was helpful.

The bottom line was seeing the models. I liked the Can Am styling, fit and finish, the Rotax engine, and the "softer" ride. The Polaris chassis and features are very good. Polaris lost a close one due to their triple black color scheme on the model I wanted and their "jeep like' styling. These are pretty silly reasons for choosing an ATV, but that's what I did.

I take delivery after the holidays. Then I can start learning how to ride this thing and actually get somewhere safely.

David