Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2008 sportsman 500 ho backfireing

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 04:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I got this thing to start and run perfect. Went to pull it out of the shop and it dies. Restart and cranks no fire check the spark and none So I got the service Manuel (thanks for the link well worth 5 bucks) and it says to pull the black wire from the key switch to disable the safety switches so I do and bam it starts. then it dies. So I go thought the testing and it comes to the coil it says .5ohm I am getting .3ohm on 2 different meters. I don't think that is far enough out but I don't know it because it has no plus or minus listed in the book. Also can you test the input to the coil? I know that on most you will get an AC volt reading to the coil I know that it is not exact but it tells you the coil is getting a pulse. I am not seeing any thing. Thanks

Old 10-07-2015, 05:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

All values are +/- 20% so that sounds like the coil may not be the problem. Look closer at the manual,not only shows resistance specs on the stator,but should show some more tests and I believe an ac voltage test as you mention.. If it did crank up and run when you first unplugged the cdi black wire and eliminated the kill circuit,then possible either the ignition switch or left control switch may be faulty or contacts/connections in either one can cause problems. Plus it's not impossible that the cdi may have faulted. Just look over all the trouble shooting guides and steps.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:35 PM
Trailblazer

Ok I think I have found the issue looking for a second opinion. Went line by line with the book then I noticed that I have great spark all the time until it starts and runs for 2 sec then it dies and has no spark. Shut it off restart and it runs 2 sec then shuts off. As long as it does not start IE spark tester on it and not on the plug never stops sparking. So I have ideas now and started with the stator. I unplugged the triple yellow plug now it starts and runs like a dream as long as I don't want to charge the battery. So I checked the ohm reading on each leg. It is good nothing to ground on each and .5 or so in between each leg. Running with it unplugged at an idle 15 volt ac high idle 25-30 volt ac each leg. It also has no RPM reading when it is running and these are unplugged. So I plug it in crank on it and it is cranking about 350 rpm if I let it start soon as it hits 600 it kills it self. I see that one of the legs does run the tach so that seems right to kill the rpm signal. No Check engine light it has oil just in case these have a low oil cut off. Does not matter what gear and the indicator works. I am going to say CDI box. But that is another not so cheap part and I wanted to get some opinions.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:39 PM
Trailblazer

My Bad ECU not cdi or is that all one thing? Looking it up now.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sounds like something the ecm would do.. They have a bad rep on previous models as all the circuit breakers are here. Plus it controls charging,battery over load circuits,etc.If it shorts out,then it can kill spark. Earlier models had a recall and replaced by US made modules,but they too can fail..http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-4011568-CONTROL-MODULE-SINGLE-CARB-/271997517532?hash=item3f5450bedc&vxp=mtr Sounds like what it's doing when you have the charging circuit from the stator plugged in to it. Probably shorted out like this example.

Attached Thumbnails 2008 sportsman 500 ho backfireing-img_20131123_103532.jpg  
Old 10-09-2015, 05:44 PM
Trailblazer

That looks lovely.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:30 PM
Trailblazer

So I had to look at it again. and if I unplug the red and black wire off the voltage regulator it will run fine. It is only putting out 9.5 volts would this be the issue? Just trying to make sure I am not just tossing parts at this thing and I don't have another one to compare to or swap parts from.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:41 PM
Trailblazer

Just an update I think it is a 2009 not a 2008 because this is what I have http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Polaris-Regulator-Rectifier-Ranger-Hawkeye-Sportsman-Trailblazer-4012192-/171761693858?hash=item27fdcb74a2&vxp=mtr

Old 10-09-2015, 06:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The voltage regulator is incorporated into the ecm along with fan control,auxiliary inputs,battery protection circuit and so on.
Everything is in one tidy box. If you ohmed out the stator legs,they checked out good,but kills the engine when you plug it back in to the harness branch that leads into the ecm,then I'd say the ecm is toast.Plus putting out 9.5 volts isn't good either. Another symptom of a faulty ecm module.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Scooter's Shop
Just an update I think it is a 2009 not a 2008 because this is what I have New Polaris Regulator Rectifier Ranger Hawkeye Sportsman Trailblazer 4012192 | eBay
Just change out the regulator then if you have a 2009 model and not a 2008 as you posted.... Wrong year models have me chasing my tail....

Quick Reply: 2008 sportsman 500 ho backfireing