Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2006 Polaris Sportsman 800 - Fan Problem (HELP, PLEASE)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 08:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check continuity on the purple and yellow wires from the sensor to the ecu harness connector pins.Problem could be in the connector itself. Also from the manual red fused wire supplies power to the relay.Ecu sends signal to yellow/black wire to close relay,then the orange/ black wire is powered up to send power to the fan. Ecu provide the ground path for the fan. Don't know if this helps,but again could be either the yellow or purple wires not making good pin contact in the ecu connector,or ecu isn't sending signal to yellow black to close the relay so the orange/black fan wire can be powered up.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4:00 a.m. and still at it (tough when it's 2 degrees out, hard to use fingers). Hooked up 12V direct from battery and new OEM Fan (purchased 1.5 months ago) purrs like a kitten. Has to be a short somewhere. Keeping my sense of humor this weekend.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ran 12V direct to fan as a precautionary measure. OEM fan is 1.5 months old. Runs great direct to battery.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:36 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Still hope it's a connector pin problem that's not allowing the ecu to respond. Plus still could be a problem in the fan relay socket itself. No way I could check wiring at that temp.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Can you pls tell me where the "manual red fused wire" is located?

Thanks for all you help, Kelly

Old 01-08-2017, 12:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by koriley
Can you pls tell me where the "manual red fused wire" is located?
From the manual: Red fused(circuit breaker) wire provides power to the relay. Which leg is the red I can't tell you,but shows it's schematic on the relay. Hope your relay legs don't look as bad as this one. That's why I said check the relay sockets if you haven't already done so.

Attached Thumbnails 2006 Polaris Sportsman 800 - Fan Problem (HELP, PLEASE)-_57.jpg  
Old 01-08-2017, 05:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I actually put (2) NAPA relays in a few weeks back. Went ahead and ordered Polaris Brand (s/b here this week) just to be safe. Still getting code 3.4 when I cycle then 42 once it's running. Not much has changed since this morning except it's running a little rougher (I start it and let it run just to check codes).

I disconnected the relay casing and checked the back as well. Orange wire with black stripe going into relay case does not have power. I pulled, put new end on, soldered, put back in, but still nothing.

Checked the yellow & purple from Thermistor to ECU and they look fine going into ECU. I've pulled just about every connection on the front-end and cleaned as needed, but again, back to square one from this morning.

I can wire the fan direct and/or put a switch on it, but guessing code 42 will remain until the problem is found.

Thanks for the advice - Kelly

Old 01-08-2017, 05:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll check the red fused wire tomorrow.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by koriley

Orange wire with black stripe going into relay case does not have power.
Orange black fan wire wont have power until the ecu sends a signal to the yellow/black wire to close the relay,then the orange black is powered up to the fan.. Or so the manual says.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Can you pls tell me, if looking at the front of the unit, specifically at the 20A Circuit Breaker that was in black bag, is the darker or copper colored post on the left (or passenger side of unit) or right (driver's side of the unit)? Asking because when I bought it from NAPA as well, I wired the copper colored post on the right/passenger side as it was hot (assuming battery side). Not that it has anything to do with this or not, just want to make sure.

B. rgds, Kelly

Quick Reply: 2006 Polaris Sportsman 800 - Fan Problem (HELP, PLEASE)