Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

ITPs wheels lug nut torque

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITPs wheels lug nut torque

Shame to say I dont have a Torque wrench but im hoping to put on my Bighorn tires finally been unmounted starring me in the face everytime i enter the garage, lol..lol

How tight do I turned down these Lug nuts (Hex 14mm) when I wrench them on by hand? I dont want to strip them.

Thanks,
​​​​​​​R'

Old 02-08-2017, 01:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Long 14 mm thin walled socket is best on this because the hole is small. ITPs' we installed on Polaris torqued down criss cross to 75 ft pounds even though the manual say 90. 90 is way too much,can cause stripped or broken studs.Some people were scared and stopped at lower torque valves such as 50 when they installed them themselves,a little too low imo.That's the only part about tires I didn't mind doing,putting them on or taking them off..

Old 02-08-2017, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Thanks OPT. But Im a wrench dummy. I dont have a torque setting so once their on snug and fit take a quarter turn?

Thanks,
​​​​​​​R'

Old 02-08-2017, 02:40 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Knock on your neighbors door and borrow a torque wrench. Or get a cheap torque wrench at Harbor Freight,Northern Tools,etc. Engine bolts and especially aluminum wheels need to be torqued properly. Older steel wheels weren't a problem,15 pounds front,50 pounds rear. Most techs just zapped em on with an impact.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

I run aluminum rims on my Arctic Cat Diesel. I torque to 60/ft/lbs, drive it a couple days and re torque, none had loosened. 90 ft/lbs scares me with the small lug nuts. If slamming over the rock piles hasn't loosened, think 60 is ok. BTW, look in all your newest magazines, probably have a Harbor Freight for a coupon for their torque wrenches.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:51 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just checked Harbor Freight online and they have click-type torque wrenches for $19.99 in a few different sizes. You just need to decide if you want a 3/8" or 1/2" drive or some other size.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:41 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, you need a reasonable torque wrench. Remember not to tighten beyond the "click'.

I was disappointed in my new Outlander after delivery. I did a torque check on the lug nuts and found some of them way over tightened. Careless impact gun usage by a new machine assembly tech? Anyway, I backed them off and corrected to 75 ft lbs (I don't remember the newton - meter spec). That's what the owners manual specified.

David