Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Reverse shuts off engine...???? Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse shuts off engine...???? Help!!

I didn't mean to start an argument, and don't want anyone to think I am ignoring their posts either. As Cornbread (interesting name by the way....how'd you get that one?) suggested, I will be purchasing another box, and simply plugging it in. I appreciate all your help, and will let you know the results.

If this doesn't work, I'll let you know so that we can take spoonbread out behind the feed shed and beat him senseless!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Called to order this and was offered one of two options.....either the reverse over ride switch for $104.00 or the whole box encompassing the start switch, head lights, etc. Do you mean the "whole box" or can i just get away with the switch? I read your post, and am really not ADD despite what it may seem....it's just that the whole box is $230.00, and I want to make sure.

Thanks cornmuffin......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

I still don't think it's broken. It is doing what it is supposed to. Corn hole is thinking it's a new machine and yes, the newer machine sputter like on a rev limiter if you get on the throttle in reverse.
What happens if you put it in reverse while holding down the overide button and continue holding it down? Does it stay running?
I do think corndog is going to cost you some $ with his expert advice.
If it aint broke don't fix it.
Deerkiller

Old 03-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Deerkiller
I still don't think it's broken. It is doing what it is supposed to. Corn hole is thinking it's a new machine and yes, the newer machine sputter like on a rev limiter if you get on the throttle in reverse.
What happens if you put it in reverse while holding down the overide button and continue holding it down? Does it stay running?
I do think corndog is going to cost you some $ with his expert advice.
If it aint broke don't fix it.
Deerkiller

If I put it in reverse while holding down the override button, and continue to hold it down, it continues running. But what could possibly be the explanation for starting the engine in neutral, fwd, and then shifting to reverse, and blam.......engine cuts off if override isn't depressed. Thats certainly not normal. On my machine, override is only depressed to reverse with no stutter ie full speed, or to engage 4wd in reverse.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

Corncob,
Try looking up the specs or call the dealer on a 1994 sportsman 400, 2 stroke. Ask about how the override works on the machine.
I'm sure you have worked on every Polaris ever made but you are giving this kid back yard mechanic advice.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

So Mr. Deerkiller.......what are you proposing? What does my switch have to do with a 1994 Sportsman? It shouldn't shut off when I shift to reverse.....no doubt about that.

I do appreciate the help from all of you, I'd be sending it to the shop at $75.00 per hour if it wasn't for everyones help.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

cwigg,
What i'm saying is this. I think with your machine if you want to put it into reverse you need to hold down the reverse override button. After you shift back into neutral or forward you can let off the button. I think it is normal with that age machine. I don't think it's broken.
Can you get ahold of an owners manual. There are sites where you can down load a PDF of the manual for your machine. I bought my current sportsman used and was able to get a manual that way. I don't have the link anymore, maybe ask cornbeard, he's an EXPERT, could be one with downloading files too.
Good luck
Deerkiller

Old 03-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

Here is one last tidbit. When i attempted to eliminate the override button by disconnecting it i lost the all wheel drive and had to hook it back up. You may want to run this last one past Cornjob because he does this for a living you know.
Deerkiller

Old 03-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

Once again and I will type SLOWLY so you can understand.

NO POLARIS ATV IS DESIGNED TO KILL THE ENGINE IF YOU PUT IT IN REVERSE WITHOUT HOLDING THE OVERIDE BUTTON.

The ATV in question is a 2000 model. When everything is working correctly they WILL NOT die if you put it in reverse. The rev limiter will work causing a miss in reverse untill you push the overide button.

Also you can completly bypass the box where you can have 4X4 in reverse if you want. It is a quick and easy mod but I would not expect you to be able to understand so I will not bother to explain.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

Unhook the old box. If it runs correctly then you can buy a new one.

Quick Reply: Reverse shuts off engine...???? Help!!