Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » Brand Discussions Area » Polaris
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to ATVConnection Forums!
Welcome to ATVConnection.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the ATVConnection Forums community today!

Old 04-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Default 2001 Polaris Xplorer 250

I just picked up a 2001 Xplorer with about 500 miles on it. The previous owner wasn't exactly sure on the mileage, but said he thought they had gone through about 4-5 tanks of gas.

Concern:

At low RPMS, the engine makes a consistent noise. Not sure if I would describe it as a ping or a knock. Don't think it is piston slap, but not sure. It sounds like it is coming from the cylinder area. When you are riding at slow speeds, the noise persists. When you get the RPM's up, the noise disappears. Does anyone have any idea as to what I should look at to solve this problem or is this normal? Looking for some direction.

Thanks
EBYE@JUNO.COM
Old 04-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Look at the primary clutch buttons.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Garage is empty, add now

not sure about anyone else 250 but our trailblazer was fairly noiset at low rpms yes it sounds something like pinging. if it truely has only had that much gas ran thru it then i wouldnt think it would be too worn out. imo.
10' massey ferguson tractor
Old 04-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

drlang-

I pulled off the clutch cover and cleaned everything up. Nothing was loose or worn. I am wondering if the rings aren't bad and creating piston slop? Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

stendori-

I agree, nothing should be worn that could cause mechanical failure with this low of miles. We bought it from a family that had it for their kids. Shouldn't have had a lot of abuse either. Any suggestions on what I might try for gas to see if that helps the problem? Any other suggestions?, or just forget about it and get riden!
Old 04-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Cool, good point on the useage-hours. Now slip in a Polaris green spring and away you go.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:53 PM

Tags
01, 2001, 250, atv, clutch, engine, forums, green, knock, polaris, problem, problems, reviews, speeds, spring, xplorer