Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Wheels and Tires for Polaris Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009 | 07:08 PM
Range Rover
Default Wheels and Tires for Polaris Sportsman

I flipped the tie rod end based on my assumptions in my previous post, and it solved the clearance problem, but now the toe is WAY off. Is that to be expected? Should I try to adjust it, or have I done something bad? I haven't tried yet, but I am thinking that it may not adjust that far (about an inch or so at the front center). The toe was correct before I did anything, so I guess I'll adjust it to the other (untouched) wheel, and leave the untouched one as-is.

By the way, this is a 95 Sportsman I'm working on, in case that matters. I don't know much about the history of it ... I just "inherited" it a couple of weeks ago with no history. I'm not even sure if these are the stock tires or not (it has 1100 miles on it, and the tires look almost new, so maybe they were upgraded or replaced).

Old 01-17-2009 | 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

Afternoon jchunn
Yep, you have to reset the tow. No big deal tho. The book calls for 1/16 out but I like 1/4. I do a lot of ridin on pavement to get to the creek. 1/16 lets the front get a lil squirrely for me,

Old 01-18-2009 | 03:50 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the reply Hobbles.

I flipped the tie rod end, then I used the "string" method to re-adjust the toe, and it was no problem. I went with about 1/8. I'll be spending most of my time on snow, gravel, dirt, and grass... I don't intend to be on pavement at all (except maybe to cross the street). Thanks for the advice.

If anyone does not know what the "string" method is, ask and I'll be glad to describe it. It is in my owners manual, so maybe everyone knows it already. It is basically wrapping a string around the tires (all the way around the machine) and measuring the distance from the string to the back side of the front tires with the string at hub height. It made the process MUCH easier than trying to measure from the center point of the front and back sides of the front tires, which was described in the Hanes manual. That method seems inaccurate and requires two people and jacks. Using a string around the tires I was able to get the toe lined up in about 3 minutes by myself without jacking up the machine or anything like that.

Old 01-21-2009 | 11:29 AM
Trailblazer

26" swamp lite on Maxxis 4x4 aluminum wheels, clean out very well and look pretty good also. See my Gallery for pics.

Old 01-21-2009 | 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

I used the string tied to my ball hitch, I didn't jack it up either.

Old 01-21-2009 | 11:55 AM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: hobbles

I used the string tied to my ball hitch, I didn't jack it up either.</end quote></div>

I assume you tied it to the ball hitch, then around the back tire, then around the front tire, then the other front tire, then the other back tire, then back to the ball hitch? That is a good idea... would've saved me a few minutes trying to get it to stay "up" while I tightened it. It kept falling on the floor everytime I gave it a little slack. I think putting some sort of elastic band on one end of the string would also simplify matters... maybe I'll use the waistband from the next pair of underwear I have to throw out because I got too close to a cliff at high speed in unfamiliar territory [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-21-2009 | 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

Name:  rofl.gif
Views: 331
Size:  14.3 KB

Old 01-21-2009 | 12:58 PM
Range Rover

Itp 212 with XTR tires

Old 01-21-2009 | 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

That is by far the best looking set up I've seen, imo! It's the price I don't like! Ouch! Nice ride!

Old 02-25-2009 | 10:34 PM
Trailblazer

I just posted these in another thread, but what the hey...they're 26" ITP terracross on 14" ITP SS212's:

Name:  100_0750.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  123.0 KB

Name:  100_0751.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  105.7 KB

I put my stock 589's on a set of 12" SS108's for my wife's Rancher 420:

Quick Reply: Wheels and Tires for Polaris Sportsman