Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » Brand Discussions Area » Polaris
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to ATVConnection Forums!
Welcome to ATVConnection.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the ATVConnection Forums community today!

Old 02-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Default Choke Adjustment ?

Hi Everyone, I have a 96 Sportsman 500 and I"m replacing the choke cable. The question is how do i adjust it? There is a threaded sleve on the carb end to adjust it. I have the Polaris shop manual and they only describe how it works, Polaris calls it a "starter system". I played around with it and it will make a diffenance in the idle. Thanks
Old 02-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Not sure about your specific model, but for manual chokes in general you should adjust it so that when you push the *** in (off position) it should not go quite in all the way. You should have about 1/64 of an inch of space. This way you are making sure the choke will be all the way in the open position when running.

You should get no high idle when it is in the off position (*** in).

It is important to make sure it is opened (*** in) all the way when not needed (engine warmed up).

Sorry this sounds confusing. You might be able to look into the carb with the air cleaner off an see the correct motion of the choke.
2010 Sportsman XP550 Green - Rear Polaris lock and ride cargo box, Warn XT25 Winch
Old 02-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmangary View Post
Hi Everyone, I have a 96 Sportsman 500 and I"m replacing the choke cable. The question is how do i adjust it? There is a threaded sleve on the carb end to adjust it. I have the Polaris shop manual and they only describe how it works, Polaris calls it a "starter system". I played around with it and it will make a diffenance in the idle. Thanks
You adjust it like you said at the carb. After choke cable,plunger,and spring is installed and choke lever is in pod, loosen the 10 mm lock nut at the cable end at the carb while holding the 12 mm choke fitting that goes in the carb. Ater loosening the nut you can turn cable out counter clockwise to tighten and back in to loosen. Adjust to where you have about 1/8"slack at the choke lever and tighten locknut. OPT
Old 02-01-2010, 11:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks old polaris tech and luvmudd, I have it adjusted, I tested it cold and it starts right up in 10* degree weather, "1/2 choke" sounds normal.
Thanks for the help again
Old 02-01-2010, 11:49 PM

Tags
500, adjusting, adjustment, atv, cable, carb, choke, located, location, plunger, polaris, replace, replacing, snomobile, sportsman