Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » Brand Discussions Area » Polaris
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to ATVConnection Forums!
Welcome to ATVConnection.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the ATVConnection Forums community today!

Reply Share this with your friends
Old 02-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Trailblazer
Garage is empty, add now

Default 2002 SP 500 ho coolant change

Did a search, and found this thread. While informative, I still have questions.
http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...e-coolant.html

Here we go..
The radiator on my '02 has no drain valve. So I took the cap off, removed the lower hose (@ the water pump end) and let the coolant drain.

I reconnected the hose, and tried refilling thru the radiator cap (which is not directly connected to the radiator) with distilled water to flush. I had a heck of time getting any water in! It would take a little, then over flow. So after pis-anting a half a gallon or so of water in, I cranked up the motor, and let it get warm. I left the cap off while running, and it bubbled, and drank a little water during the process. I added to it until it stabalized. Once it got warm, I pulled the lower hose off, and drained again. Water was still a little green, so I just left the lower hose disc. and poured the rest of the water down it until it ran clear. Reconnected the hose.

Now....I havent put the new coolant in yet, becuase I am concerned about the water still in the block. Can you get it all out?

Also. How are you guys going about refilling with new antifreeze? Exactly what is your process to get all the air out of the system? It was such a pain to put the water in, I am thinking there has to be something I am missing!

Thanks for reading, and sorry for the long post....
Phillip
Old 02-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Garage is empty, add now

On My 2001 I just drained the rad (I have a drain valve) I started the atv and let the water pump get out the little thats left in the block. Letting it run for 30 second will not hurt anything.

I re-tighten the drain valve on rad.
I raised the front of ATV slightly (was told it helps burp the system)
With atv running add coolant slowly as you shake the ATV by the handle bars (advice from my Cylmers manual),also helps with bleeding air out.
Then put rad cap back on rad and add coolant to reservoir bottle if needed.

Worked good so far for the last 2 years.
5.25 gas tank.
============
2007 350 Grizzly
IRS
Diff lock.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Garage is empty, add now

Your drain plug is on the front left bottom of the radiator! You can also remove the hose going from the side of the filler neck to the thermostat housing which is the return line(and lean it down in a pan) and also remove the short hose leading from the top of the water pump to the engine block to remove any remaining coolant. After all hoses are on jack up machine on the frame on the drivers side to where the left front and rear wheel are off the ground. Pour in coolant ,crank the engine and add coolant slowly. This setup may take a little while to purge all the air because of the hose bends and the way the hoses are routed! When the fan kicks on the coolant level in the radiator should drop purging most of the air. Top off the radiator and replace the cap. If the surge bottle overflows you may have to repeat with the cap off again! 2000 to 2004 models were the same on the cooling system! They changed this system to where the return line went back to the radiator instead of the filler neck on the 2005 models which made air purging a lot easier finally! OPT
Whats right is whats left after you do everything else wrong (Robin Williams) RIP
Don't pick a fight with an old man,if he can't fight he'll just shoot ya!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Trailblazer
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks!
Thats good info!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Reply Share this with your friends

Tags
02, 08, 2001, 2008, 500, 500ho, atv, change, coolant, drain, flushing, polaris, radiator, sp, sportsman