Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Camshaft worn. Need ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 06:23 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I'd cross my fingers on this if I could,but hopefully third times charm on the cams,but if the oil is flowing ok,head is within specs, it shouldn't have eaten up two of them unless they were poorly forged knock offs. If needed,plenty of later model heads on ebay.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you ever herd of these guys? know anyone who ran one?
New CRU Camshaft Exhaust and Intake Rocker Arm Set Polaris

Old 11-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Never hear of them, but aftermarket parts are showing up every where. Looks like Cycles R Us is just buying from the maker as they show to be the only one selling CRU cams on their website and on ebay. Some parts may be good,others questionable.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:05 PM
Trailblazer

I called him the other day asking about the cams and he claimed that he had a couple hundred of them made up so he could get them for a good cost...wasn't as knowledgeable as I would have thought.
Or maybe they are just the leftovers from when Polaris realized they had a bunch of junk cams.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:54 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You might want to call the guys here "CAMSHAFT, Polaris 500cc MULTIPLE APPLICATIONS - SEE LIST" or Hot Cams.Hot Cams Products, Inc. and see if they can help. Other than that I'd think your other options are to still check out later model used heads from totaled atvs that are being parted out along with an oem replacement cam. Either you've had a couple cheap cams or something in the head or oiling system is causing excessive wear on cams. You shouldn't have had to go through two cam replacements in a year.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:04 PM
Trailblazer

Well I did call hot cams and they will be the guys I get a cam from if (when) I need one.

I have our 04 500 HO down for a rebuild right now cuz she smoked like a two stroker. Some other stuff was damaged too and now that's all cleaned up and like new.
Anyways, since the original cam seems to still be doing quite well in it and I know a cam will survive in that motor, I'm trying my burnt cam in it. I spent a few hours polishing up the rockers on various stones, along with the cam. Finished the cam up with some fine emery cloth.
This weekend I was able to get the motor all together and oil in, so plastics tank and carb go on this weekend.

Plan to run her for the break in period and maybe 15-20 hours take a peak and see how the cam is doing. Will go from there...

1999 Sportsman 509. wiseco 93mm forged piston. Moose gaskets. CRU aftermarket HO camshaft. new diaphragm and block. Summit water temp gauge. EPI clutch rebuild. custom spacers on both clutch springs. runnin Mobil 1 0W-40

Old 11-23-2014, 04:35 PM
Trailblazer

Well the cam i polished was starting to get chewed up in the 04's head after two hours. No surprise there I'm no precision grinding machine.

Surprisingly they sent me out another cam and rocker set. I might as well give it a try.
An 08 HO head is on its way, gona take it to the shop have the face honed, soda blast it and check the valves out. If any question I want this motor to be solid for many years so I am thinking of some KPMI Stainless steel valves if warranted.
New rocker shaft is also on the way.

1999 Sportsman 509. wiseco 93mm forged piston. Moose gaskets. CRU aftermarket HO camshaft. new diaphragm and block. Summit water temp gauge. EPI clutch rebuild. custom spacers on both clutch springs. runnin Mobil 1 0W-40

Old 11-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The more stock you keep the 08 head,probably will be more reliable. Plenty of old 96-97 models still running out there with the same top ends,heads,valves,springs,etc. Just keep up regular maintenance and use a good synthetic oil. 0w40,5w40. Still think if you've gone through two sets of cams,has to have been the head if it's been getting a good oil supply to the cam and rockers.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:26 AM
Trailblazer

Well finally got her all back together. The ship had many failures with the kmpi valves in other bikes and he encouraged me to use stock. I just wish it wasn't $200 for just valves. With new valves and cut seats this setup should last a long time. Now the motor is completely rebuilt from sump to valve cover. They sent me a replacement cam again so hopefully this one holds out, figured I have nothing to loose if I run it for a few hours and see if its just a terrible product or the head. The rockers that came out of this 08 head were great, just the wear from the decompression ball that they all develop. My cylinder looks nice, has 100 hours or so on it since the last time I was in there. Hopefully this is the last time I will be seeing the internals of my motor. About time that I can log some hours on trails and not have to worry about engine quirks.
Now I can plan when I'm going to do fun stuff like a TM40-6 pumper carb or some new rear shocks, the shafts are getting scarred up and I'm waiting for a failure.

Hopefully this is the end of my 99 engine projects, I want to thank you OPT for all the guidance you have given over the past year, my popo and I thank you.

<CALayer: 0x1907fd80>

Old 12-15-2014, 11:58 AM
Trailblazer

Quick Reply: Camshaft worn. Need ideas.