Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 500 cam inspection

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 500 cam inspection

I plan on digging deeper into my buddy's 1997 sportsman 500 to see why it is having issues starting. Since this one fits in the time-frame where they had bad cams, I want to rule that out or verify that's the problem. Is there an easy way to access the cam or do I have to do a complete tear down of the machine? I know its under the valve cover, but im not sure if there is much room to pull it off to get a good look at it. I have the manual for this machine so if it needs to be replaced, I will have the procedure to do so. What else needs to be replaced if the cam is bad? I know when I used to mess with old tractors and muscle cars, I never replaced just a cam, I always got the cam, lifters and pushrods when I pulled one. I know this has a timing chain also, so is that a week link also?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 08-26-2016, 09:40 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just lift and prop up the back of the tank to get better access to the back of the valve cover bolts. Always replace the exhaust rocker arm if a new cam is needed as it's usually scarred up also.Remove the square plate on the right side of the head to expose the cam sprocket and chain. If the chain is tight,usually not necessary to replace it you don't want to. Manual has fairly good instructions on this,BUT you can have the cam at tdc,make a mark on the head inline with the sprocket alignment pin,remove the sprocket and lower it with chain attached,remove cam chain tensioner,thermostat housing and hose(to get to the cam cover plate) and slide the old cam out. Slide new cam in and replace the sprocket and chain on the cam in line with the mark you made. You can do it this way if you DON'T move the crank shaft. If you don't feel good about doing it this way,just go by the manual.