Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 08:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel problem

hi, my polaris hawkeye 4x4 wont start. I tried spraying starter fluid and that worked, so theres some kind of fuel problem. I checked the puel pump, I sprayed out the "P" hose and unhooked the other two hoses and they spill gasoline when opened. I've also cleaned out the carb. What else should I look for? Maybe the fuel pump is bad?

Old 03-08-2017, 09:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

this ATV had been sitting for over 6 years. After I cleaned out the carb sometimes I could get it started with starter fluid and it would stay running for awhile sometimes. I let it sit over winter until I could get more parts.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:14 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Easy to tell if the pump is working. Pull the fuel line to the carb,pull the vacuum line from the carb(goes to the "P" on the pump) either suck on this line or use a mityvac. Should be a steady stream of fuel.If it's weak,fuel pumps are cheap.FUEL PUMP FOR POLARIS HAWKEYE 300 2X4 2009-2010 / HAWKEYE 2X4 2011 | eBay Sitting 6 years? Cleaning a carb may not always help. May need to be rebuilt.http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=Polari...e%20carb%20kit Use stabilizer in the fuel can save future carb problems.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah it was sitting for 6 or more years, it belonged to my girlfriend and when the rear subframe broke they never fixed it. It's a shame because I think it was only a couple years old.

When I take the hoses off the two fuel lines on the fuel pump it just starts pouring out, is it supposed to spray with force if I use a vacuum pump, or only come spill out if I apply pressure?

Also will that fuel pump for the 2009-2010 that you linked work with the 2006? The one you linked is much cheaper than the 2006 one.

I found a $50 Carberator, I figured at that price I couldn't pass that up.

I should check the compression to determine if it needs to be rebuilt? What would I buy to rebuild it? I've done a car engine before but never an ATV.

Thanks so much

Old 03-10-2017, 04:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Several different pumps listed that would fit,but match up the one from your model. Either the plastic body or metal one. You can take a chance on the Chinese carbs,but the oem Mikuni is better even if you need to rebuild it. Standard compression range is around 90 psi according to the manual.This is because of the decompression device on the cam. May just need to get the fuel pump and the carb problem sorted out to get it running.Also an oil and filter change