Polls Post your Polls here

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always do especially on a sport quad its crazy what people do on them when there not wearing a helmet. and it's not even like they are not cool because all pro riders wear them.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Trailblazer
Default helmet - always

I didn't always where a helmet until last yr, when i rolled a prairie 360 and the brunt of the weight landed directly on my helmet. Probably would've been killed if I wasn't wearing one. btw - I was "just" in the backyard going pretty slow and doing some chores.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

2 years ago my family went riding at a state forest that has flat, well groomed trails. I was riding my KFX 400 going 15 to 20 miles per hour. I came over a hill and jumped a little and wasnt ready for it. When I landed I lost my grip on my bars and popped the clutch and my quad launched over another hill and before I knew what happened, I had buried the front end and was driven head first into the ground. I was wearing a helmet and was still knocked unconscious. I also had a level 4 AC separation of my shoulder. Tore all the major ligaments in my shoulded and tore my trap, deltoid, and bicep. I had major shoulder surgery and took a year to recover. If I had not be wearing my helmet, I doubt I would have had to worry about shoulder surgery...

I never ride without a quality helmet!

Also, if you ride in groups, I suggest a quality set of helmet radios. We use Scala Rider 2 radios and never have to take our eyes of the trails to see if the group is still together. We have about $25000 wrapped up in our three quads and riding accessories and the $300 worth of radios are the most well spent money. It is also nice to be able to talk to others while riding.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Originally Posted by Mud Slinger
2 years ago my family went riding at a state forest that has flat, well groomed trails. I was riding my KFX 400 going 15 to 20 miles per hour. I came over a hill and jumped a little and wasnt ready for it. When I landed I lost my grip on my bars and popped the clutch and my quad launched over another hill and before I knew what happened, I had buried the front end and was driven head first into the ground. I was wearing a helmet and was still knocked unconscious. I also had a level 4 AC separation of my shoulder. Tore all the major ligaments in my shoulded and tore my trap, deltoid, and bicep. I had major shoulder surgery and took a year to recover. If I had not be wearing my helmet, I doubt I would have had to worry about shoulder surgery...

I never ride without a quality helmet!

Also, if you ride in groups, I suggest a quality set of helmet radios. We use Scala Rider 2 radios and never have to take our eyes of the trails to see if the group is still together. We have about $25000 wrapped up in our three quads and riding accessories and the $300 worth of radios are the most well spent money. It is also nice to be able to talk to others while riding.
Thanks for the post! Sorry about the bad accident, glad you are still with us today to talk about it! Where did you get you radios from? Was it a good deal on them?

Old 07-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

AND, what's the range of the radios? how far will they transmit/receive?

Old 10-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

I agree never hit the trail without the basic gear.
If you want to ride with the group I ride with you have to gear up those are the rules.

On a side note:
I was really glad to see this thread today since I had some really nasty things said to me about helmet use by another member.

That said not wearing a helmet is a choice and thank God we live in a free country where the majority of us can still make that choice.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:02 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Specta
we don't wear helmets either
Ok late to chime in on your post, more importantly your signature...

"2001 Rubicon
13,850+ miles & 1500+ hours
I too am an environmentalist;
I just choose to explore the
back country on my ATV.
"

So as far as I am concerned and others will most likely agree.... That is 13,850 Miles of pure and utter LUCK!

Thats ok - go put another 13,850 miles on your Honda without a helmet, because I am sure if you do get in an accident where you hit your head without a helmet Honda won't care that you have 27,700 miles on their Quad.

That being said - I always where a helmet, as well as full height Motocross riding boots (AlpineStar Tech 8's) - which have saved my ankles and foot a few times...

A few years ago I mis-judged a culvert's depth while riding my quad at about 25 mph and I took a Superman off my quad and went flying through the air for about 20 feet.... landed on my left shoulder and my head smacked the ground... the quad did a front end wheelie and landed on all fours undamaged. I however had a nice bruised up left shoulder/forearm and a Sweet scar on my HELMET, yup, I said HELMET, if I was not wearing that $175 helmet, I wouldn't even want to think how messed up I would have been... That day there were 6 guys riding with their helmets in their storage boxes because it was like 90 degrees out and humid... needless to say.. ALL 6 of them put their helmets on...

So keep riding without a Helmet Speca save the $150 per helmet (You can get last year model helmets for 50-60% off if you do your home work).

I have NO REMORSE/REGRET when I hear about accidents with ATV's, Sleds, Dirtbikes when the article says "There was no evidence a Helmet was worn"

As DodgeHemi stated... ""Stupid is as STUPID does"!!!!

I will add this one... "Stupid Hurts"

Old 04-04-2011, 11:36 PM
No Ruts, No Glory

For those of you who think wearing helmets is a "matter of choice", and don't like "having someone tell you what to do"...consider this:

You have an accident that leaves you brain dead...so who pays to keep your butt on life support? Unfortunately, it's usually the rest of all of us in the insurance pool

I'm all for freedom of choice, but there is always a cost for freedom, and in this case it should not be a cost that the rest of society has to bear.

So if you must exercise your rights and ride without a helmet, at least buy the insurance to cover your medical expenses when (not IF) you have an accident that leaves you brain dead...otherwise, expect us to want to unplug you from life support...our money can be better spent on educating young riders...and your body can be studied in medical schools

Old 04-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by DODGE57HEMI
Dress for the crash not the ride!!!!!!!
^My Answer Right there^

Old 04-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Trailblazer

I always wear a helmet, as does everyone who rides with me. I've seen people go over loading/unloading their quads.

I've had the quad on top of me. I was bruised and sore, but the helmet was only scratched. Anytime the quad is moving, the helmet is on.

Quick Reply: Helmets