Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Carb Leaking While Riding Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 01:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb Leaking While Riding Normal?

Is it normal for your carb to leak/drip out the bowl overflow while riding/going over bumps etc? The bike runs fine and doesnt leak when its level/idling and sitting? I was googling and some say its fine since the float is bouncing but others say I need to adjust the float height? I like the if it aint broke dont fix it since its running fine but i dont wanna be deep in the woods and something to happen.

Its for a yamaha warrior if that makes any difference.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:36 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Somewhat normal if you do hit large bumps,etc as the fuel level can splash up high enough to reach the over flow tube and drip out. If in doubt though you can simply check the float height. If it ever leaks on level ground,at an idle,etc then is when you should really be concerned and check the carb out.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

ughhh now when i turn the gas on after leaving it sit overnight it leaks until i hit the side of the bowl... i dont understand this quad..

Old 03-24-2017, 01:53 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Cutch
ughhh now when i turn the gas on after leaving it sit overnight it leaks until i hit the side of the bowl... i dont understand this quad..
How about at least a new needle and seat.Sounds like it's sticking. Cheaper to just get a good quality carb kit.Cleaning one may not always solve the problem. 88-04 YAMAHA YFM350X WARRIOR NEW SHINDY K&L PRO CARBURETOR REBUILD KIT 18-0389 | eBay Several videos on carb cleaning and rebuild on youtube.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
How about at least a new needle and seat.Sounds like it's sticking. Cheaper to just get a good quality carb kit.Cleaning one may not always solve the problem. 88-04 YAMAHA YFM350X WARRIOR NEW SHINDY K&L PRO CARBURETOR REBUILD KIT 18-0389 eBay Several videos on carb cleaning and rebuild on youtube.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSXZFsy37YY

thats what hat I do not get I used that exact kit to rebuild the carb and cleaned it out with 2 cans of cleaner. I also mad sure the float was exactly in spec.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:58 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you have to tap the side of the carb to keep it from leaking then something is still wrong.These plastic floats can crack and be fuel heavy or can wear out on the sides and stick also.Plus sometimes a little lower on the float level to shut the fuel off a tad earlier may help in spite of what the specs show.That I've had to do before.Plus if the float bowl was close to empty,float hanging down when you turned the fuel on,it was probably stuck.If you used the Shindy kit,it's as good as oem parts.