STOLEN This area is for listing STOLEN ATV's, Motorcycles, Boats, Snowmobiles, Toys, ETC:.

How to keep your ATV from being stolen

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Heck Jumbofrank it would be worthwhile to buy a cheap shed to put your stuff inside and install a motion detector. You can buy them at harbor freight for 20 or less and are battery powered. Signal is sent inside your house, I don't want to scare them away I want to meet them and introduce them to my sidekick. At our house, someone is always home. The pair I caught redhanded was quite surprised to meet my sidekick, but they were smart enough to behave themselves until the police arrived. At least I have 15 yrs before they will be free to try and come back again.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10 years ago I lost a 230 Suzuki chained thru all four wheels they carried it off. Now I lock them in a trailer disc brake locks on them and chains in the trailer wheels Make it to hard for them to bother. There is always some clown leaves one out for all to see.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:19 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Like most people i run the biggest chain i can find between the machines. I also have GPS tracing in place that sends me a TXT as soon as the machine moves

Old 09-08-2016, 01:05 PM
Trailblazer

Keep the key out and inside the house would be my first round of attack and I do that here but beless someone has already targeted your place and brought another key set up to be changed out which takes time, its going to be a pain in the *** to push that thing where it can be winched on without someone seeing it or hearing it. Never leave the key in it.

I'm safe, on my own little compound sorta with 8 foot gate so don't worry to much about that.

There alarm systems just like on cars that will work within 500 to 1000 foot if the unit is moved out of range a alarm goes off. Simple, cheap, easy way to set up a quit alarm system.

Sight of a CCTV camera does a world of wonder to.
Let of little things can help in keeping whats yours at home.

Old 09-10-2016, 04:10 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread, gives me something to think about before an incident occurs. My toys are parked in my garage. But that is no guarantee. Thanks for bringing the topic up.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

So, I guess shooting 1 and hanging his body in a tree as a wind chime is out? Dang . Seriously, my neighbors think I'm crazy because I will light off a few rounds night or day. Plus, 10 years ago, my dad became famous for tracking a thief thru 3' deep snow with a 12 ga full of buck shot for a couple miles to the guy's house trailer and made him return what he stole. He's 95 now and slowed up a bit, but he'd probably do it again.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:15 PM
Yz Blaster

or just buy 7 granny fall out chair alarms on amazon and tie the fishing line to the quad and the other end of fishing line to the weight on the very edge of your porch, if your porch is seven feet above ground like mine, den tie the 7 granny fall out chair alarms to the weight an when weight fall you have 7 granny fall out chair alarms singing

Old 02-09-2017, 09:36 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

UPS delivered my new lock today. The key broke off in the old lock and I had to cut the chain with an angle grinder to get it off. I couldn't believe how fast I could cut through a thick hardened steel square chain. I kept trying to get hold with the manufacturer of the lock to see if I could buy a new cylinder which comes out when you unlock it. I would have tried to drill out the old one but I never heard back from them. My quad was unlocked since December and I got tired of waiting for them.

I got a Xena XSU102 hardened stainless steel U-lock with an 18mm thick shackle. Instead of paying $114.95 at Lockitt.com where I bought the old lock I got it at Amazon.com for $38.49. Another seller on Amazon wants $130.35 for the same exact lock. It sure pays to shop around. The shackle had a heavy duty layer of clear plastic over it that I had to cut off because it was too wide to fit in the links of my chain. Getting that off was the hardest thing I've had to do in awhile but now the lock fits the chain. If anyone's interested the lock is here.
Amazon Amazon

This 14mm hardened steel chain is the one I have. You can't cut it with bolt cutters but like I said an angle grinder with a cutting disc goes right through it. ABUS 14mm 6FT Maximum Security Chain with Sleeve: Lockitt.com

Old 02-10-2017, 07:40 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is difficult to stop a determined thief. Jumbo is right, a battery powered angle grinder with a cut off wheel makes quick work of most locks, chains, and the like. I have simply jacked up my camper, put it on jack stands, and removed the wheels and store them some place else. It just makes stealing it a bit more difficult. And since it has an electric tongue jack, removing the battery disables that making it harder to hitch up.

My new Outlander has a radio frequency identification device (RFID) that must be present before the "computer" will allow any electrics to operate, including the fuel pump and starter. Can Am calls it a DESS key. A replacement requires the VIN. My insurance company gave me a bit of a discount for this theft deterrent security system.

Having a motion alarm and maybe a security camera helps too. And exercising our right to defend our homestead ought to make a low life thief think twice about the consequences of trespassing and stealing our property on our property.

Luckily 99% of us are honest, hardworking folks that wouldn't even think of degrading ourselves to that of a low life thief.

David

Old 02-10-2017, 07:58 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Ya nothing is going to stop a determined theif. they eather have a zip cut or a little bit of freon or something to make it super cold and just smash it off. heigh priced chains and locks are just a waist. best u can do is just have it look difficult to steel and hope for the best.. even the can am rfid keys are not fool proof...

Quick Reply: How to keep your ATV from being stolen